In high school hockey last night…
– Hancock fell to Hartland 8-2.
– Houghton lost 4-3 in overtime to Traverse City Central. Tucker Tapani scored twice for the Gremlins, and Camden Markham added one goal. The Trojans kept pace to tie the game 3-3 after the second period. After a scoreless third, TC freshman Hunter Folgmann slipped a rebound shot past Houghton goalie Matthew Ryynanen to end the game.
– Houghton entertains Hartland.
– Hancock hosts Traverse City Central. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In girls basketball last night…
– Houghton got past Ishpeming 49-45. Maryellen Trewhella led the Gremlins with 16 points.
– Ewen-Trout Creek smothered Watersmeet 71-30.
The Houghton High School swim team opens its season at Rudyard today.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
Two late goals from Brian Halonen lifted the Michigan Tech hockey team to a 2-1 victory over Alaska-Anchorage last night. Halonen’s first was a redirect off a shot from Trenton Bliss. The game-winner came less than 90 seconds later, with less then five minutes remaining in the contest. Those teams skate again tonight at 6:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team is off this weekend.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
The Michigan Tech volleyball team’s season ended with a 3-1 loss to Hillsdale College in the NCAA tournament regional semifinals last night. Coach Matt Jennings’ squad dropped the first set, won the second, struggled in the third, then fell just short in an epic 30-28 loss in the fourth set. Olivia Ghormley led all players with 19 kills, and added 14 digs.
Both MTU basketball teams will host Northland University today. The women’s game will begin at noon, and the men’s contest at 2:00.
Both NMU team will entertain Saginaw Valley State.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie with 11th-ranked Milwaukee School of Engineering last night. Tyler Watungwa scored both Lions goals. Marcus Gloss made 33 saves. Those teams skate again today at 4:00 at the Houghton County Arena. It’s Finlandia’s first-ever Military Appreciation Game. Current and former servicemen and women get in free. Coach Joe Burcar says fans will have a chance to show their support by bidding on special jerseys. Our pregame show will begin at 3:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team entertains Marian University tonight at 7:30 and tomorrow at 2:30.
The Lions women’s basketball team welcomes Wisconsin-River Falls today at 3:00.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Calumet Wolverines host the Marquette Mutineers tonight at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons pulled out a 108-101 victory over the Indiana Pacers last night. Blake Griffin scored 25. The Pistons visit the Pelicans Monday night.
– The Detroit Lions visit the Minnesota Vikings for a 1:00 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
– The Green Bay Packers host Washington in a 1:00 contest.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.