Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school hockey last night, both games ended early because of the mercy rule…
– Hancock trounced Negaunee 10-1.
– Calumet dominated Escanaba 10-2.
In hockey this weekend…
– Hancock welcomes Bay Port tonight.
– Houghton hosts Bay Port tomorrow.
– L’Anse skates at a tournament at Merrill. The Hornets will face the host team in the opening round tonight, and will take on either Rhinelander or Tomahawk tomorrow.
In boys basketball last night…
– Calumet downed Hancock 62-44. The Copper Kings outscored the Bulldogs by 15 points in the third quarter to break the game open.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell defeated Baraga 59-42.
– Jeffers edged Ontonagon 39-36.
– Ewen-Trout Creek remained unbeaten with a 63-42 victory over Chassell. Jake Witt had 24 points and 24 rebounds. We will broadcast the Ewen-Trout Creek game against Dollar Bay-Tamarack City on February 6th.
On the boys schedule tonight, L’Anse entertains Wakefield-Marenisco. A couple of games that were originally scheduled for this evening have been changed. The Bessemer at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City game will be played January 29th. The Republic-Michigamme game at Ewen-Trout Creek will be played February 13th.
In last night’s only girls game, Chassell outscored Hancock 51-33.
In girls play this evening…
– Houghton travels to West Iron County.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell journeys to Wakefield-Marenisco.
– Baraga tips off at Jeffers.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team plays at St. Scholastica tonight. Both Lions hockey teams skate at Northland College tomorrow night. The women’s hockey team will play at Northland again on Sunday.
Both Finlandia basketball teams play at Silver Lake College tomorrow afternoon.
The 12th-ranked Michigan Tech women’s basketball team couldn’t find the hoop last night, and lost to Wayne State University 50-40. The Huskies were held to just four points in the second quarter in a game that was dominated by defense. Elizabeth Kelliher led the Huskies with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
The Tech men’s team broke its six-game losing streak with a 76-66 victory over the Warriors. Kyle Monroe paced the Huskies with 34 points and eight rebounds.
Tech’s games at Davenport University tomorrow afternoon have been postponed because of a norovirus outbreak which has closed the Davenport campus in Grand Rapids. The Northern Michigan University basketball games scheduled at Davenport last night were also canceled. Both Wildcats teams play at Wayne State tomorrow.
The postponement at Davenport has caused some rescheduling. Michigan Tech will make up their games against the Panthers this coming Thursday. The games will be played at Lake Superior State University. The Huskies home games against Northern Michigan University scheduled for next Saturday will be delayed until next Sunday.
The Tech hockey team hosts Alaska tonight and tomorrow night. Both games begin at 7:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena. The NMU hockey team entertains Lake Superior State tonight and tomorrow night.
The Calumet Wolverines entertain the Eagle River Falcons tonight. Faceoff is at 7:30 at the Colosseum. The Wolverines will introduce new jerseys this evening. Calumet will visit the Marquette Mutineers tomorrow night.
The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the West Bend Bombers tomorrow evening.
The Detroit Pistons host the Washington Wizards tonight. Tipoff is at 7:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings return to the ice tomorrow evening, when they host the Carolina Hurricane. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Jacksonville Jaguars will play the New England Patriots in the AFC title game Sunday at 3:05. The Minnesota Vikings take on the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC championship contest Sunday at 6:40. Hear both games on 99.3 The Lift.
Former Detroit Tigers outfielder Tyler Collins has signed a free agent minor-league deal with the Kansas City Royals.
Our high school basketball coverage continues Wednesday, when the Hancock boys play at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.