In high school football last night…
– Calumet outscored L’Anse 50-28. The Copper Kings finish with a record of 8-1, and look forward to the playoffs. We’ll follow them as far as they go on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. L’Anse ends its season with a record of 4-5.
– Hancock claimed the Copper Bowl with a 28-6 victory over Houghton. Cole Stuber ran for two touchdowns for the Bulldogs. Austin Salani ran for one score, and caught a TD pass. Ty Halonen rushed for the Gremlins’ only score. At 5-4, the Bulldogs’ playoff chances are faint. Houghton finishes its campaign with a record of 2-8.
– Ontonagon lost at Forest Park 52-6. The Gladiators wrap up their season with a record of 1-8.
This afternoon, Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Manistique. A win by the Lakes would guarantee them a playoff berth. Our broadcast will begin at 1:10 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In volleyball today, Calumet plays at the Brighton Invitational.
The Finlandia University volleyball snapped its 25-match losing streak on the opening day of the Mount Mary Invitational yesterday. After falling 3-1 (25-22, 22-25, 25-20, 25-21) in a tight match to Holy Family College, the Lions overwhelmed Dayspring Bible College 3-0 (25-13, 25-12, 25-9). Braedyn Hurd had 16 kills in the first match, and 17 in the second. The Lions will face the host team and Robert Morris University-Chicago today.
The Finlandia football team plays at Trine University this afternoon.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team concludes its regular season at Mount Mary tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech hockey team fell 3-1 at 17th-ranked Bowling Green last night. Trenton Bliss gave the Huskies an early lead, but the Falcons scored power play goals in each period to claim the win. Matt Jurusik made 23 saves in the loss. Those teams play again tonight in Ohio.
Joseph Nardi’s power play goal int eh third period was the game-winner, as the Northern Michigan University hockey team edged Ferris State 4-3 last night. Those teams skate again this evening in Big Rapids.
The MTU volleyball team swept Wisconsin-Parkside 3-0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-14) to earn its sixth straight win last night. MacAulay Petersen had 14 kills. The Huskies play at Purdue Northwest today.
The MTU soccer team lost 4-1 to Ashland last night. Gabby Sgambati scored the Huskies’ only goal in the closing seconds. Tech will host Saginaw Valley State tomorrow at noon.
The Tech football team plays at Ashland this afternoon.
The NMU football squad has the weekend off.
At the inaugural Superior Cup tournament in Marquette last night…
– The Calumet Wolverines defeated the Mosinee Papermakers 6-3. Izaak Avery had a hat trick.
– The Portage Lake Pioneers edged the Marquette Mutineers 5-4.
The Pioneers and Wolverines will face off for the title tonight at 7:00 at Lakeview Arena. The Mutineers and Papermakers will play in the consolation match at 5:00.
The Detroit Red Wings’ losing streak reached seven games last night, with a 2-0 loss to the Buffalo Sabres. Jimmy Howard made 23 saves. This is Detroit’s longest losing streak in 30 years.
The Wings host the Saint Louis Blues tomorrow. Because of NFL coverage on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 4:40 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons will host the Philadelphia 76ers tonight. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 the Lift.
The Houston Astros shut down the Washington Nationals 4-1 last night. The Nationals lead the World Series two games to one, with game four tonight in Washington.
The Detroit Lions entertain the New York Giants in a 1:00 game tomorrow. The Green Bay Packers visit the Kansas City Chiefs in the Sunday night contest. We’ll broadcast both games on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.