Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school football last night…
– Calumet upended L’Anse 22-14. The Copper Kings put the game away with a late 88-yard drive, capped by a five-yard touchdown run by Travis Ojala. The result leaves each team with four victories, meaning each must win both of its remaining games to earn an automatic playoff berth. Calumet hosts Gogebic next week, and Mid-Peninsula Conference leader Gladstone in week nine. L’Anse plays at Northland Pines next week, and at WestPAC leader West Iron County in week nine.
– Hancock clinched a playoff berth with a 56-32 victory over Gwinn. Colton Salani passed for five touchdowns, and ran for another. The Bulldogs head to the post-season for the first time since 2006, and only the third time in school history. They also face a battle with West Iron County for first place in the WestPAC next week.
1. West Iron County Wykons (4-0, 5-1) – host Northland Pines today
2. Hancock Bulldogs (4-1, 6-1)
3. L’Anse Purple Hornets (3-2, 4-3)
4. Hurley Midgets (3-3, 4-3)
4. Calumet Copper Kings (3-3, 4-3)
6. Gogebic Miners (2-4, 2-4)
7. Houghton Gremlins (1-4, 1-5) – play at Lake Linden-Hubbell today
8. Northland Pines Eagles (1-4, 1-6) – play at West Iron County today
– Houghton plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
– Ontonagon faces Bear Lake at Brimley.
In volleyball today…
– Houghton, Hancock, and Calumet travel to the Suttons Bay Invitational.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell, and Dollar Bay-Tamarack City play at the Ironwood/Hurley Invitational.
The Finlandia University volleyball team earned a split in its first day at the Wisconsin-Oshkosh Classic yesterday. The Lions lost 3-0 (16-25, 19-25, 12-25) to Simpson, but bounced back to beat Maranatha Baptist for the first time ever 3-1 (13-25, 25-20, 25-23, 26-24). In the opening game, Shannon Anderson had nine kills, and Jessie Diaz collected 11 digs. In the second contest, Marina Dalton had 14 kills, Nicole Anderson picked up 35 assists, and Taylor Nettell had a career-high 20 digs. The Lions face Wisconsin-Platteville and Saint Olaf College today.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team plays at Lawrence University today.
The Finlandia football team hosts Robert Morris-Peoria today. Pregame coverage begins at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
Coach Joe Shawhan earned his first win, as the Michigan Tech hockey team outskated Union College 6-3 at the Icebreaker Tournament in Duluth last. Joel L’Esperance scored twice for the Huskies, who had built a 4-1 lead a few minutes into the second period. Patrick Munson made 35 saves to get the win in net. The host Bulldogs will play Minnesota in the other preliminary game. The Huskies play sixth-ranked Minnesota-Duluth in the championship game tonight. The Bulldogs advanced with a 4-3 double overtime win over third-ranked Minnesota.
The MTU volleyball team swept Ashland 3-0 (25-15, 25-23, 27-25) yesterday. MacAulay Petersen led Tech with 16 kills. Elle Heinonen had 22 digs. The Huskies host Tiffin this afternoon at 4:00.
The Huskies football team plays at Northwood this afternoon.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team lost its season-opener at Lake Superior State 5-3 last night. Those teams play again tonight at the Soo.
The Wildcats football team entertains Ashland this afternoon.
The Detroit Red Wings skate at Ottawa tonight. Hear the game on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons downed the Atlanta Hawks 109-87 in a preseason game last night. The Pistons played without Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson and Boban Marjonovic. Avery Bradley scored 18 points, and Eric Moreland grabbed 13 rebounds. Detroit continues its preseason Monday night at Indiana. We’ll broadcast selected Pistons regular-season games on 99.3 The Lift.
In the American League Divisional Playoff Series yesterday, the Astros beat the Red Sox 8-2, and the Indians got past the Yankees 9-8 in 13 innings. Houston and Cleveland now hold 2-0 leads.
In the opening games of the National League Divisional Series yesterday, when the Cubs blanked the Nationals 3-0, and the Dodgers downed the Diamondbacks 9-5. Game two of both series will be played today.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.