Click on the highlights scores for more game details.
In high school boys basketball last night…
• Calumet defeated West Iron County 49-26.
In girls play last evening…
• Hancock edged Calumet 50-47. The Copper Kings led by six at halftime, but the Bulldogs opened the second half with 10 straight points to take command, then held off a late Calumet surge. Bella Hebert paced Hancock with 19 points. Laina Kariniemi scored 15 for Calumet.
On the boys schedule this evening…
• Houghton travels to Escanaba.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Republic-Michigamme.
In girls action…
• Jeffers plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
• The Hancock game against Gwinn has been postponed to tomorrow night.
In boys-girls doubleheaders…
• Calumet plays at Chassell.
• Baraga visits L’Anse.
• Ontonagon welcomes Bessemer.
• Ewen-Trout Creek travels to Watersmeet.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Hancock skates at Escanaba.
In high school skiing at Mont Ripley yesterday, the Houghton boys placed second to Marquette, and the girls finished third, behind Marquette and Norway. Individually, Eli Heathman of the Gremlins finished second in both the slalom and giant slalom. Rachel Sun took fifth in the giant slalom and seventh in the slalom. See full results here: Boys Slalom – Boys Giant Slalom – Girls Slalom – Girls Giant Slalom
In high school swimming, Houghton welcomes Kingsford and Gladstone today.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams host Wayne State tonight – the women at 5:30, and the men at 7:30.
Both Northern Michigan hoops teams entertain Saginaw Valley State.
The Finlandia men’s team welcomes Gogebic Community College tonight at 7:00.
Michigan Tech’s Blake Pietila has been named the CCHA Goaltender of the Month for January. For January, Pietila held a 1.37 goals-against average, while going 6-1-1 with three shutouts. Pietila was named the CCHA Goaltender of the Week three times during January, including last week.
The Wings are off for the all-star break, and will return to action February 7th, with a home game against the Oilers.
The Pistons’ home game against the Wizards last night was postponed, as bad weather stranded Detroit in Dallas.
The Pistons host the Hornets tomorrow evening. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tomorrow – Calumet hockey faces East Grand Rapids at the Trenton Showcase. Coverage begins around 12:20 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tomorrow – Houghton hockey plays Detroit Catholic Central at the Trenton Showcase. Coverage will begin around 3:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Saturday – Calumet hockey faces Trenton at the Trenton Showcase. Coverage will begin around 8:40 a.m. on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Saturday – Houghton hockey faces Lake Forest at the Trenton Showcase. Coverage will begin around 1:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Calumet boys basketball hosts L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org