In high school girls basketball last night…
– Hancock outscored Houghton 46-31.
– Calumet shut down Chassell 52-25. Jana Loukus scored 12 for the Copper Kings. Paige Sleeman had 10 for the Panthers..
– L’Anse got past Ontonagon 49-45.
– Jeffers shut down Lake Linden-Hubbell 46-23. The Jets’ Dayna Johnson led all scorers with 11 points. Kaci Destrampe scored eight for the Lakes.
In boys play last night…
– Jeffers outscored Lake Linden-Hubbell 81-71.
– Baraga lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 79-62.
On the boys schedule tonight…
– Calumet entertains Jeffers.
– Hancock hosts West Iron County.
– Houghton travels to Marquette.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell journeys to Ewen-Trout Creek.
– Chassell tips off at L’Anse.
In high school hockey tonight…
– Hancock entertains Kingsford.
– Calumet skates at Negaunee. Our broadcast will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school swimming, Houghton hosts Ishpeming.
In downhill skiing, Houghton competes at Marquette.
The Copper Country Ski Tigers had skiers competing in two different races this past weekend. At the Junior Noque Friday in Marquette, Wells Huotari took second and Auggie Hamlin third in the boy’s overall 3k freestyle. Drew Huotari and Kalvin Kytta placed first and second overall in the boy’s 3k classic. See full results here.
On Saturday and Sunday the Ski Tigers competed in the Gitchi Gami Games in Cable, Wisconsin. See full results here.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Michigan Tech’s Kyle Monroe has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Basketball Player of the Week for the fifth time this season. Monroe led the Huskies to wins over Davenport and Grand Valley last week. He scored 53 points against the Lakers – an MTU and GLIAC single game record.
The Detroit Red Wings return to action when they visit the New York Rangers Friday night. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons fell 115-100 to the Cleveland Cavaliers last night. Reggie Jackson led Detroit with 16 points.
The Pistons have dropped three straight, and visit the Brooklyn Nets tomorrow. Coverage begins at 7:05 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers added some pitching depth yesterday by signing Shelby Miller to a minor league deal. The eight-year veteran is hoping for a comeback, after posting an 8.59 earned run average in 19 appearances for the Rangers last year.
The Detroit Tigers have reportedly agreed to a minor league deal with first baseman Kennys Vargas. Vargas hit .252 in four seasons of limited duty with the Minnesota Twins. He struggled in the Japanese league last season. He’s a big target – 6-foot-5 and 293 pounds.
Former Detroit Tiger Nick Castellanos is now a Cincinnati Red. He signed a four-year, $64 million deal.
Michigan Tech Recreation has announced a variety of sports camps, clinics, and tournaments for boys and girls this spring.
The schedule includes volleyball, basketball and tennis clinics for boys and girls from elementary school through high school, and football clinics for boys in the fourth through sixth grades.
In addition, the Doghouse Classic 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament will be held April 11th, with divisions for youth and adults. The deadline to sign up is March 30th.
For more information and registration, click here.
Our Finlandia University coverage continues with a basketball doubleheader tomorrow evening, as the Lions host Bay College. The pregame show will start at 4:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.