Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In hockey yesterday…
• Hancock edged Traverse City Central 3-2. Davis Olson, Bryce Hanner and Sam Roberts scored for the Bulldogs. Saku Cunard made 20 saves.
The Michigan Tech hockey team skated past at Northern Michigan 3-1 Saturday night, to salvage a sweep in their weekend series. Tyrone Bronte put the Huskies on the board early in the second period with his first goal of the season. Ryland Mosely netted the game-winner eight minutes later, and added an insurance tally in the third. Blake Pietila made 24 saves, as the Huskies outshot the Wildcats 47-25.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team couldn’t hold an early lead, and lost to Lake Forest 5-3 Saturday. The Huskies built a 3-1 advantage early in the second period, with goals from Owen Schmidt, Nate Holm and P.J. Donnelly. Dakota Meyer stopped 22 shots, and took the loss in net.
The Finlandia women’s team dropped a 7-1 decision to Lake Forest Saturday. Libby Plath scored the Lions’ only goal. Lexi Holman made 51 saves, as the Lions were outshot by the Foresters 58-7.
Those teams face off again today at the Houghton County Arena. The men’s game starts at 2:00, and the women’s at 5:30.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team overcame a nine-point halftime deficit to edge Purdue Northwest 86-83 Saturday. Alex Rondorf led the Huskies with 23 points.
The Tech men’s team went cold in the second half, and fell at Purdue Northwest 73-68. The Huskies held a 14-point lead just after halftime. Adam Hobson led MTU with 19 points.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team outscored the University of Northwestern 70-56 Saturday. The Lions got off to a quick start, and led 15-5 at the end of the first quarter. Maija Rice led Finlandia with 17 points, and Elli Djerf added 16.
The Finlandia men team fell to Northwestern 117-72 Saturday. Devin Schieble scored 15 for the Lions.
Anthony Harris scored the game-winner, as the Portage Lake Pioneers edged the De Pere Deacons 5-4 Saturday evening.
The Calumet Wolverines fell to the Eagle River Falcons 10-5 at the Colosseum.
The Red Wings lost the Golden Knights 4-1 Saturday night. Oskar Sundqvist scored for Detroit. Ville Husso stopped 21 shots, and took the loss in goal.
The Wings visit the Blue Jackets today. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, coverage will begin at 5:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Pistons entertain the Grizzlies tonight.
• The Lions host the Jaguars in a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift. Wide receiver Jameson Williams is expected to make his NFL debut. He’s been recovering from a knee injury suffered in his final college game 11 months ago. Detroit also activated defensive end Romeo Okwara, who has been out since tearing his Achilles tendon in week four of last season.
• The Packers visit the Bears for a 1:00 contest. Aaron Rodgers is expected to start at quarterback for Green Bay, despite injured ribs and a broken thumb.
• The Cowboys host the Colts in the Sunday night contest on 99.3 The Lift.
Former Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford’s season is probably finished. Stafford was placed on injured reserve by the Rams Saturday. He’ll miss at least four weeks, and, with the Rams already out of the playoffs, he’ll likely not return until next season.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tuesday – Calumet hockey skates at Marquette. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tuesday – Houghton girls basketball entertains L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Wednesday – Houghton hockey entertains Hancock. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Thursday – Calumet boys basketball hosts Jeffers. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.