In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet dominated Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-0 (25-6, 25-5, 25-6).
• Hancock blanked West Iron County 3-0.
• L’Anse fell to Ironwood 3-1.
• Jeffers downed Baraga 3-1 (25-17, 25-21, 11-25, 27-25).
• Chassell fell to Ewen-Trout Creek 3-0 (25-6, 25-16, 25-14).
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
Mohamed Koroma scored twice as the Finlandia University men’s soccer team shaded Lincoln Christian 3-2 yesterday. Bryson Beck had the Lions’ other goal. Finlandia will play at Illinois Tech tonight.
The Detroit Tigers won their fourth straight game yesterday, defeating the Chicago White Sox 5-3. Niko Goodrum singled home Robbie Grossman to break a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the seventh. Victor Reyes added two insurance runs with his fourth hit of the night. Daz Cameron had three hits, and Akil Baddoo had two hits, and drove in two runs.
The Tigers host the Sox again this afternoon. Casey Mize will start against Reynaldo López. Coverage will begin at 12:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Any combination of two Chicago wins or Cleveland losses clinches the American League Central Division title for the White Sox. The Tigers are now just a game behind the Indians, in third place.
The Milwaukee Brewers’ drive to wrap up the National League Central Division title remained stalled last night, as they lost to the Saint Louis Cardinals 2-1. Brandon Woodruff did his part, giving up a run on two hits over six innings. He took the loss.
The Brewers entertain the Cardinals again this evening. Brett Anderson will start against Miles Mikolas. Any combination of three Milwaukee wins or Saint Louis losses clinches the division title for the Crew.
Milwaukee activated Tyrone Taylor off the injured list yesterday, and sent pitcher Miguel Sánchez to Nashville.
The Green Bay Packers have waived tight end Jace Sternberger. Sternberger was scheduled to come off a two-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy this week.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Hancock in the Copper Spike match tomorrow. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Houghton football team hosts Hancock in the Copper Bowl game Friday night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Calumet football team plays at Gwinn Friday night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Dickinson Friday night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.