In high school hockey, Calumet, Houghton and Hancock continue play at the Trenton MIHL Showcase.
– Houghton lost to Riverview Gabriel Richard 2-1 last night. Carson Stevens scored the only Houghton goal. The Gremlins outshot the Pioneers 34-16. Houghton will meet Cranbrook today at 12:20.
– Calumet fell to Livonia Stephenson 3-1 yesterday afternoon. Scott Loukus scored the Copper Kings’ only goal. Calumet will face Trenton today at noon. Our coverage will begin around 11:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock defeated Utica Eisenhower 3-2 yesterday morning. Petr Anderson scored twice for the Bulldogs, Colton Salani scored once, and Brandon Pietila made 23 saves. Hancock faces Warren de la Salle this morning at 8:40. Our coverage will start at 8:20 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Jeffers skates at Ashland today.
In girls high school basketball night…
– Calumet defeated Gwinn 60-51. Marybeth Halonen scored 18 for the Copper Kings.
– Chassell shut down Lake Linden-Hubbell 56-24.
In boys action last evening…
– Hancock outscored L’Anse 77-63 to earn their first win of the season. Carson Chynoweth scored 35 for the Bulldogs.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell lost at Bessemer 69-43. Caleb Gregoire led the Lakes with 23.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City cruised past Baraga 88-50. Ashton Janke scored 33, as the Blue Bolts remain unbeaten.
– Jeffers lost to Ewen-Trout Creek 67-50.
– Chassell outscored Republic-Michigamme 69-48.
– Ontonagon shaded Wakefield-Marenisco 58-56.
In a co-ed game, Copper Country Christian fell to Grand Marais 52-39. Caleb Bach led the Warriors with 16 points. Those teams play in Grand Marais again this morning.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team lost the opening game of the Winter Carnival series 7-3 to Lake Superior State last night. Alec Broetzman, Colin Swoyer and Logan Pietila scored for the Huskies. Matt Jurusik gave up two goals over the first 11 minutes, and was replaced by Blake Pietila.
The Winter Carnival series will wrap up at 5:07 this evening. The team with the most total goals claims the MacInnes Cup.
The 15th-ranked Northern Michigan University hockey team lost 7-3 at third-ranked Minnesota State last night. Those teams skate again tonight in Mankato.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will host Wisconsin-Parkside this afternoon. The women’s contest will start at noon, and the men’s game at 2:00.
Both Northern Michigan University entertain Purdue Northwest today.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team suffered a tight 3-1 loss to Saint Scholastica yesterday. Jayson Dahlquist scored FinnU’s only goal. Marcus Gloss stopped 17 of 19 shots, with the Saints’ final goal being an empty-netter.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team lost 3-1 at Saint Scholastica yesterday. Cassidy Becia netted the Lions’ only goal. Those teams skate again today in Duluth.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team hosts Mount Mary this evening.
The Portage Lake Pioneers lost 10-7 to the Marquette Mutineers last night. Those teams face off in Marquette again tonight.
The Calumet Wolverines have the weekend off.
Jimmy Howard made 42 saves, but the Detroit Red Wings lost 2-0 to the Columbus Blue Jackets last night. It’s Detroit’s third shutout loss in their last four games.
The Wings host the Boston Bruins tomorrow afternoon. Coverage begins at 12:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
In their first game since Andre Drummond was traded, the Detroit Pistons lost 108-101 to the Oklahoma City Thunder last evening. Reggie Jackson scored 28 points. Christian Wood added 27, and grabbed 12 rebounds. Detroit had just nine players available. New acquisitions John Henson and Brandon Knight have not yet joined the team.
The Pistons entertain the New York Knicks tonight. Coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.