In girls basketball last night…
• Hancock got past Houghton 56-51.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 46-35.
In boys action last evening…
• Calumet outscored Ishpeming 57-49 – the first win of the season for the Copper Kings.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City fell to Ewen-Trout Creek 73-58 – the first loss of the season for the Blue Bolts. Kelsey Jilek scored 25 for the Panthers, who led by 24 points at halftime. Dollar Bay’s Connor LeClaire led all scorers with 30.
On the girls schedule this evening…
• Calumet entertains Forest Park.
In boys action tonight…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Wakefield-Marenisco.
In girls-boys doubleheaders this evening…
• Jeffers hosts Watersmeet.
• Chassell welcomes Ontonagon.
• Baraga plays at L’Anse.
• Ewen-Trout Creek tips off at Bessemer.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Houghton skates at Escanaba. Coverage begins at 5:45 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
• Calumet visits Negaunee.
• Jeffers hosts Marquette.
In high school swimming yesterday…
• Houghton split its match against Westwood. The boys won an easy 122-8 victory – the Patriots have only one male swimmer this year. Quinn Aho set a new Gremlins diving record, breaking the old mark set by Graham Kurtz in 2000. The girls fell 101-76. Leah Komarzec won the 100 and 200 freestyles, Elli Wagner took the 100 butterfly, and Chloe Neves won the 100 backstroke.
Houghton’s Reed Heathman won the individual title in the slalom at the Division Two state Alpine Ski finals yesterday at Boyne Highlands. Heathman also finished second in the giant slalom, to earn all-state honors in both events. The Houghton girls team finished fifth in the state competition. Ashley Lehmann earned second team all-state honors with a seventh-place finish in the giant slalom. See full results from the state championships here.
The start dates for Michigan high school spring sports have been pushed back a week, to accommodate the delayed winter sports season. Practices can begin March 22nd, and competition March 26th.
The Michigan Tech hockey team entertains Lake Superior State University at 2:07 this afternoon.
The Finlandia University men’s basketball team hosts Lakeland University this evening. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Lions women’s game at Northland University this evening has been canceled.
Michigan Tech guard Owen White has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Men’s Player of the Week for the second time this year. White totaled 72 points in the Huskies’ three games last week.
The Finlandia University football team has added a new recruit. Caleb Evosevich-Hynes from Iron Mountain was the WestPAC Offensive Player of the Year as a running back as a senior, and also made the defensive first team as a linebacker.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Nashville Predators tonight. We’ll join the game in progress after Finlandia basketball on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Orlando Magic tonight.
The schedule has been released for this weekend’s modified CopperDog races.
The shortened CopperDog 150 will begin Friday at 6:00 in Eagle Harbor, with a 34-mile run to Copper Harbor. Stage two on Saturday will be an out-and back 39-mile run from Copper Harbor, beginning at 8:30. The final 38-mile stage from Copper Harbor to Eagle Harbor will start Sunday morning at 8:30.
The CopperDog 25 will be an out-and-back from Copper Harbor, beginning Saturday afternoon at 4:00.
There will be no spectators allowed at this year’s CopperDog, but fans can follow the race at CopperDog150.com, and we’ll broadcast updates all weekend on 97.7 The Wolf and KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.