Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball last night…
• Reed Heathman’s two-run homer in the 10th inning lifted Garnet Garage to a 5-3 victory over REL-Mohawk Technology.
• Craig Heinonen Coldwell Banker v Houghton Building Supply-Stanton – no report.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play tonight…
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, A and S Industrial/Loukus Tech plays Pat’s Foods/Buckos at 6:30, and Paul Hyrkas Construction at 7:30.
• At the Hancock Driving Park, McGann’s/Northern Auto meets Downtowner Two at 6:30, and Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola at 7:30.
Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League play at the Bone Yard this evening…
• Crush takes on Superior National Bank at 5:45.
• JB’s meets Superior Service at 7:15.
In NBA tournament play, the Hawks defeated the Bucks 110-88. The Eastern Conference final is tied 2-2. Milwaukee’s Giannis Antetokounmpo had to be helped off the court after suffering a hyperextended knee in the third quarter. He’ll be evaluated today, and his status for tomorrow’s game is not known.
Tonight, the Clippers host the Suns. Phoenix leads the Western conference final 3-2.
Jerami Grant of the Detroit Pistons has been named to the U.S. Olympic basketball team. He’s the first Piston to make the squad since Tayshaun Prince in 2008.
The Stanley Cup championship series continues tonight, as the Lightning host the Canadiens. Tampa Bay leads the series 1-0.
The Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Indians were rained out last night.
The game will be made up as part of a straight doubleheader today. José Ureña will face Cal Quantrill in the opener. Wily Peralta will start against Logan Allen in the nightcap. Coverage begins at 3:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers activated outfielder Derek Hill off the injured list yesterday, and assigned him to Toledo.
The Milwaukee Brewers edged the Chicago Cubs 2-1 last evening. Jace Peterson’s single in the fourth inning drove home the winning run. Brandon Woodruff struck out eight over six innings, allowing a run on four hits. Josh Hader earned his 20th save in 20 opportunities, and lowered his earned run average to a miniscule 0.50.
The Brewers host the Cubs again this afternoon.
You’ll have a several chances to stretch your legs this Independence Day weekend.
• The 2021 Popeye Run 5k and 10k run and 5k walk will begin at the ballyard in Eagle Harbor Friday morning at 8:30. Sign up on-site that morning.
• The Liberty 5k at Baraga County Lumberjack Days includes a 5k run, a 5k walk, and a one-mile youth fun run. All begin and end at the Baraga American Legion Post. Check-in begins Saturday morning at 8:30. Online registration continues through Friday here.
• The Greenland Independence Fun Run, Walk and Roll begins Saturday at 9:30. Register onsite at the Log Cabin beginning at 8:00.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.