Click on the bold scores for more details.
In high school softball yesterday…
– Hancock swept a doubleheader from Houghton, winning the first game 7-2, and taking the nightcap 3-2. Delaney Heinonen went the distance in both games to earn the wins for the Bulldogs. She struck out 11 in the first game, and 12 in the second contest.
– Calumet at L’Anse – not reported.
In softball today…
– Calumet entertains Jeffers.
– L’Anse plays at Baraga.
– Houghton visits the Gogebic Miners in a makeup game from Tuesday.
At the Bob Backon Girls Invitational at Portage Lake Golf Club yesterday, Houghton won the team title, followed by Ontonagon and Calumet. Houghton’s Kaaren Liston was the medalist with a 39.
Today, local boys teams will compete at the L’Anse Invitational, which was delayed from last Thursday.
The Cleveland Indians scored three runs off Matthew Boyd in the fourth inning, then held on to defeat the Detroit Tigers 3-2 last night. The Tigers scored single runs in the fifth and sixth, but were unable to close the gap. Boyd took the tough loss, pitching into the eighth, and giving up just five hits.
The Tigers host the Indians again this afternoon. Michael Fulmer will start against Danny Salazar. Pregame coverage will begin at 12:45 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Detroit second baseman Ian Kinsler left last night’s game in the seventh inning with tightness in his left hamstring. He’ll be evaluated today.
The Milwaukee Brewers’ game against the St. Louis Cardinals last night was rained out. No makeup date has been announced. With more rain in the forecast for St. Louis today, this afternoon’s game between the Cardinals and Brewers has been moved back to this evening. Chase Anderson will pitch against Adam Wainwright.
In the NHL playoffs last night…
– The Penguins edged the Capitals 3-2. Pittsburgh leads that series 3-1.
– The Ducks got past the Oilers 4-3 in overtime. That series is tied 2-2.
– The Rangers host the Senators. Ottawa leads that series 2-1.
In the NBA playoffs last night…
– The Cavaliers downed the Raptors 125-103. Cleveland leads that series 2-0.
– The Spurs outscored the Rockets 121-96. That set is tied 1-1.
– The Wizards host the Celtics. Boston leads that series 2-0.
– The Warriors entertain the Jazz. Golden State leads that set 1-0.
Finlandia University has added two more men’s hockey players. Curran Klein is a defenseman from Tustin, California. Blake Peavy is a center from St. Petersburg, Florida, who is transferring in from Bethel University in Minnesota.
The Lions women’s basketball team has signed up Brimley High School standout Hannah Lyons. She’s a guard, and was named to the All-Eastern UP Conference second team.
Our high school spring sports coverage will continue Monday, as the Calumet softball team plays a doubleheader at Lake Linden-Hubbell. Pregame coverage will start around 3:45 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.