Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey Saturday…
• A late surge powered Jeffers to a 6-3 come-from-behind victory over Gladwin at the Cheboygan Showcase. The Jets trailed 3-1 after the first period. They narrowed the gap with a goal in the second, and then erupted for four third-period tallies to put the game away. Brit Heinonen scored twice for the Jets. Cage Osterman had a goal and three assists. Brogan Turner, Cody Turner and Griffin Heinonen also found the net. Kasen Helminen made 22 saves, as Jeffers outshot the Flying G’s 64-25.
In high school boys basketball tonight…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City plays at Calumet, With no JV game, the varsity tip-off has been moved up to 6:00.
In girls play…
• Calumet visits Houghton. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
In girls-boys doubleheaders…
• Ontonagon hosts Watersmeet.
• Ewen-Trout Creek welcomes Wakefield-Marenisco.
The Houghton High School ski team competes at the regional tournament at Crystal Mountain in Thompsonville today.
The pairings are set for the opening round of the high school hockey tournament. In our region, semifinal games will be played Saturday, February 24th at the SDC. The tentative schedule calls for Houghton to face Calumet at 4:00, and Hancock to take on Jeffers at 6:00. The winners will meet for the regional championship Wednesday, February 28th.
With the rest of the U.P. teams all competing in Division Three this year, Kingsford will also host a regional tournament. The host Flivvers will face Manistique in the opening round, with the winner taking on Sault Ste. Marie in one semifinal. Escanaba and Negaunee will meet in the opening round, with the winner facing Marquette in the other semifinal.
The Michigan Tech hockey team lost the game, but won the Winter Carnival Trophy Saturday night. After winning Friday’s contest against Minnesota State 3-1, the Huskies dropped a 4-2 decision Saturday. Tyrone Bronte and Marcus Pedersen scored for the Huskies. Blake Pietila stopped 12 of 15 shots, with the Mavericks’ final goal a late empty-netter. With each team holding one win and five total series goals, Tech got goals from Logan Pietila, Ryland Mosley and Pedersen to win a shootout, and claim the trophy. Jed Pietila was named the series’ Most Valuable Player.
The Northern Michigan hockey team skated to a 3-3 tie with Bemidji State Saturday evening. The Beavers earned the bonus Central Collegiate Hockey Association standings point in a shootout. Grant Slukynsky, Artem Shlaine and Andre Ghantous scored for the Wildcats. Beni Halasz took the loss in net, as NMU outshot Bemidji 29-17.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams earned wins over Parkside Saturday.
• The women held off the Rangers 74-68. Isabella Lenz and Katelyn Meister each scored 17, and Emma Anderson came off the bench to contribute a career-best 14.
• The men’s team took a quick early lead, and raced to a 74-52 victory. Marcus Tomashek scored 22 points. Dan Gherezgher had 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Both Northern Michigan University squads swept Purdue Northwest Saturday.
• The women used a strong third quarter to set up a 73-62 victory. Makaylee Kuhn scored 25.
• The men scored the final eight points of the game, and squeaked past the Pride 69-66. Dylan Kuehl scored 22 points, and Max Weisbrod added 20.
The Portage Lake Pioneers fell 5-4 in overtime to the Eagle River Falcons Saturday.
The Calumet Wolverines had the weekend off.
The Red Wings visit the Oilers tomorrow. Coverage will start at 8:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons visit the Lakers tomorrow night.
In one of the most thrilling Super Bowl endings ever, the Chiefs claimed their second straight NFL title with a 25-22 overtime victory over the 49ers last evening. Jake Moody’s 53-yard field goal with just under two minutes remaining in regulation gave San Francisco a brief lead. Kansas City responded with a 64-yard drive and a 27-yard Harrison Butker field goal with just three seconds on the clock. With the first possession in overtime, Moody booted a 27-yard field goal to put the 49ers back on top, but Patrick Mahomes hit Mecole Hardman with a three-yard touchdown pass on the Chiefs’ overtime possession to secure the win. Mahomes earned his third Super Bowl Most Valuable Player trophy.
Former Tigers pitcher Spencer Turnbull has signed a one-year deal with the Phillies. Turnbull tossed a no-hitter in May of 2021, but suffered the first of a series of injuries shortly afterward, and was never able to regain his form. Detroit released him at the end of last season.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tonight – Girls Basketball – Calumet at Houghton – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tomorrow – Hockey – Calumet at Houghton – 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Thursday – Hockey – Kingsford at Calumet – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Hockey – Houghton at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.