In high school hockey Saturday…
– Calumet fell to Brighton 3-2. Brighton scored early. Goals by Alex Mattila and Nick Djerf gave the Copper Kings the lead, but the Bulldogs scored the final two goals to take the game. Alex Studebaker stopped 23 shots.
– Houghton lost 3-0 to U of D Jesuit.
– Jeffers dropped a 3-2 decision to the Northwest Icemen from Barron High School. The Icemen scored twice in the first period. The Jets tied the game with power play goals by Kyler Hillstrom early in the third period, and Luke Marcotte with 4:49 remaining. The Icemen responded with the game-winner 42 seconds later. Noah Nettel made 21 saves.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team scored three times in the final 16 minutes, but lost 4-3 at Arizona State Saturday night. The Huskies were down 3-0 when the comeback began. Goals by Brian Halonen, Alec Broetzman and Justin Miziak made it close, but the Sun Devils scored a late goal to seal the win. Those teams play again this afternoon.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team scored twice in the final 64 seconds of regulation, then claimed a 4-3 overtime win at Bowling Green University Saturday night.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball teams lost to fourth-ranked Ashland University 85-68 Saturday afternoon. Cassidy Trotter scored a career-best 25 points for the Huskies.
The Tech men’s team defeated Ashland 76-63. The Huskies built a 12-point halftime lead. Kyle Monroe led all scorers with 24 points.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team fell 9-2 at Concordia-Wisconsin Saturday evening. Cory Richardson and Tyler Watungwa scored for the Lions.
The Lions men’s basketball team lost to Alma College 97-89 Saturday. Dylan Underwood and Devin Moultrie each scored 17 for the Lions.
The women’s basketball game that was scheduled for Saturday against Great Lakes Christian was postponed.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. Because of NFL football, coverage will begin at 7:10 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons snapped their three-game losing streak with a 111-104 victory over the Golden State Warriors Saturday night. Derrick Rose scored 22 points, Andre Drummund collected 18 rebounds, and rookie Sekou Doumbouya had a double-double, with 16 points and 10 boards.
The Pistons visit the Los Angeles Lakers tonight. Pregame coverage begins at 9:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
On day one of the NFL playoffs…
– Houston advanced with a 22-19 victory over Buffalo.
– Tennessee stunned New England 20-13. After the game, 42-year-old Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said it’s likely he’ll return to play again next season.
– Minnesota kicks off at New Orleans at 1:05.
– Seattle plays at Philadelphia at 4:40.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl, on 99.3 The Lift.
After a day off yesterday, competition at the U.S. Cross Country Ski Championships on the Tech Trails will resume today.
Link to full results here.
Pitcher Alex Wilson has returned to the Detroit Tigers. Wilson spent four seasons in Detroit, before he was non-tendered in advance of potential arbitration after the 2018 season. He signed with Milwaukee, but struggled early, and wound up splitting most of the season between the Brewers’ and Cubs’ Triple-A teams. His new deal with Detroit is a minor league contract, with an invitation to major league spring training camp.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.