Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Hancock edged Marquette 2-1 in overtime. Michael Stuber scored the Bulldogs first goal, and Colton Salani netted the game-winner. Dawson Kero stopped 27 shots in net. See video highlights from the game here.
– Calumet defeated Kingsford 4-1.
In hockey tonight…
– Houghton welcomes Escanaba.
– Calumet entertains Utica. Our coverage will begin around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In hockey tomorrow…
– Houghton hosts Utica.
– Jeffers entertains Escanaba.
In boys basketball last night…
– Houghton cruised past Hancock 64-31.
– Calumet smothered Lake Linden-Hubbell 81-49. Matt Ojala scored 25 for the Copper Kings.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City got past Ontonagon 45-40.
– Chassell shut down Jeffers 66-37.
– L’Anse lost to West Iron County 68-38.
In boys hoops tonight, Ewen-Trout Creek plays at Bessemer.
In girls play last night…
– Hancock defeated Ewen-Trout Creek 45-35. D’Andra Kero led the Bulldogs with 16 points, and Mialy Brooks added 14.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell used a late surge and some timely free throw shooting to defeat Watersmeet 53-45 in a makeup game from last week. Laura Lyons led the Lakes with 17 points. Erin Seppala had 10.
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Houghton welcomes West Iron County.
– Chassell visits Lake Linden-Hubbell.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City travels to Ontonagon.
– Baraga plays at L’Anse.
In girls action tomorrow, Calumet plays at Jeffers. The game was rescheduled from December 5th. The JV contest will start at 1:00, and the varsity will tip off around 2:30.
The Houghton swim team competes at Marquette tomorrow.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team will face the host Dutchmen in the opening game of the Hope College Post Exam Jam in Holland, Michigan, tonight. The Lions will take on either Wheaton College or Rochester College tomorrow. Finlandia will play at Great Lakes Christian College Sunday.
The Finlandia men’s hoops team plays at Rochester College tomorrow.
The Lions women’s hockey team skates at Wisconsin-Superior tonight and tomorrow afternoon. The men’s hockey team is off until after the holidays.
The Finlandia football coaching staff has been filled out for next season. Travis Wiltzius will continue as assistant head coach and offensive line coach under head coach Rob Boss. Former Arena Football League standout Robert Garth will coach defensive backs and special teams. Former Northern Michigan University assistant D.J. Pirkle will be the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.
The Michigan Tech hockey team welcomes Lake Superior State tonight and tomorrow night at 7:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The NMU hockey team entertains Ferris State tonight and tomorrow night.
The Tech men’s and women’s basketball teams play at Northern Michigan Sunday afternoon.
In Great Lakes Hockey League action…
– The Calumet Wolverines play a home-and-home series against the Marquette Mutineers. Tonight’s contest is in Marquette. Tomorrow’s game begins at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
– The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Mosinee Papermakers tomorrow night.
The Detroit Pistons snapped their seven-game losing streak with a crisp 105-91 victory over the Atlanta Hawks last night. Tobias Harris scored 19 for Detroit. Andre Drummond collected 19 rebounds, and a career-best nine assists. The Pistons visit the Indiana Pacers tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight. Coverage begins at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
In last night’s NFL game, the Denver Broncos defeated the Indianapolis Colts 25-13.
The Detroit Lions entertain the Chicago Bears tomorrow afternoon. Kickoff is at 4:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers visit the Carolina Panthers Sunday for a 1:00 game.
Major League Baseball’s Rule Five Draft was held yesterday. The Detroit Tigers used the first pick to select outfielder Victor Reyes. Reyes was listed as the Arizona Diamondbacks’ 18th-best prospect. He’s a switch-hitter, and batted .292 at Double-A last season. The Tigers must keep Reyes on their major-league roster all of next season, or offer him back the the Diamondbacks. The Milwaukee Brewers did not make a Rule Five selection.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.