In high school hockey last night…
– Scott Loukus’ goal in overtime lifted Calumet to a 2-1 victory over Northville. The Mustangs scored on their only shot of the first period to take an early lead. Jackson Rilei tied the game early in the third period, and Loukus’ game-winner came 5:27 into the extra stanza. Calumet outshot Northville 56-16.
– Hancock scored three goals in the second period, and edged Novi 4-3.
In hockey today…
– Houghton welcomes Novi. Our broadcast will begin around 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock entertains Northville at 2:00.
In high school girls basketball last night…
– Houghton shut down Lake Linden-Hubbell 78-5. Stella Wickstrom led the Gremlins with 16 points, and Molly Bugni added 15.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 51-44. Ashlea Datto scored 13 for the Blue Bolts.
– Jeffers fell to Ontonagon 49-36.
– Chassell overpowered Bessemer 53-26. Paige Sleeman led the Panthers with 23 points.
– Baraga smothered Watersmeet 70-23.
– Copper Country Christian shaded the Twin City Eagles in Marinette 46-43. Margaret Ensminger and Esther Bishop each scored 22 for the Warriors.
In boys action last night…
– Chassell edged Hancock 76-75 in a make-up game.
– Copper Country Christian defeated the Twin City Eagles 58-43. Noah Bach and Ian Balyo each scored 15 points.
Both Copper Country Christian teams will face Delta County in Bark River this morning.,
The Houghton swim team will compete at the Marquette Invitational today.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team fell behind early, and lost 3-2 to Bowling Green last night. The Falcons scored the first three goals of the game. Tech responded with tallies by Parker Saretsky and and Seamus Donahue, but couldn’t complete the comeback. Those teams play again tonight at 6:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
19th-ranked Northern Michigan University defeated Alaska-Anchorage 4-1 last evening. Those teams skate again tonight in Marquette..
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams play at Purdue Northwest today.
Both Northern Michigan University teams play at Wisconsin-Parkside today.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team dropped a 6-3 decision at 11th-ranked Lake Forest last night. Cale Markham, Teddy Randell and Connor Hannon scored for the Lions, in a game that was close until the Foresters racked up three goals in the third period. Those teams face off again this afternoon in Lake Forest.
The Lions women’s hockey team lost 6-0 at Saint Benedict last night. FinnU was outshot 56-16. Those teams skate again this afternoon.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Eagle River Falcons tonight.
The Calumet Wolverines face the Papermakers in Mosinee this evening.
The Detroit Red Wings edged the Ottawa Senators 3-2 in a shootout last night. Tyler Bertuzzi and Dylan Larkin scored for Detroit in regulation, and Larkin netted the only goal in the shootout. Jonathan Bernier made 29 saves.
The Wings host the Buffalo Sabres tomorrow. Because of NFL football, coverage will begin at 4:40 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons host the Chicago Bulls tonight.
In the NFL playoffs this weekend…
– Today, the Vikings play at San Francisco at 4:35, and the Titans kick off at Baltimore at 8:15.
– Tomorrow, the Texans visit Kansas City at 3:05, and the Packers host the Seahawks at 6:40.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers have reached contract agreements with the rest of their arbitration-eligible players. Pitcher Matthew Boyd will make $5.3 million, pitcher Daniel Norris will make $2.9 million, pitcher Buck Farmer will make $1.1 million, and outfielder JaCoby Jones will make $1.6 million next season.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.