In high school hockey last night…
• Calumet fell 6-1 at Cranbrook Kingswood.
• Houghton got past Jeffers 3-1. Camden Markham scored twice for the Gremlins, and Landon Stevens found the net once. Mike Maillette and Gaborik Carlson each had two assists. Elliot Asiala scored for the Jets. Troy Povich made 15 saves to get the win for Houghton. Simon Rajala stopped 31 shots for Jeffers, and took the loss.
• Hancock blanked Escanaba 3-0.
• Calumet plays at Detroit Country Day. Coverage begins at 12:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
In pool play on the opening day of the Frozen Cup tournament in Baraga County yesterday…
• In the Squirt division, OK Industrial downed Fine Line Tire 6-4. Dollar Bay outscored the Keweenaw Bay Cougars 12-8. The Cougars then defeated OK Industrial 10-5.
• In the Peewee division, Royale, Inc. edged Credit Services 4-3. The Green Bay Bobcats blanked Keweenaw/Iron River 6-0.
• In the Bantam Division, the Eagle Mine Junior Wildcats shut out American Forest Management 3-0. Pat’s Foods outscored T and H Tollefson Logging 7-1. G and S Roofing and Calumet Auto Pro skated to a 3-3 tie.
The Frozen Cup tourney continues today and tomorrow, with games at Meadowbrook Arena and the Baraga Ice Rink. Spectators are welcome at no charge. See the schedule here.
In girls high school basketball last night…
• Houghton shut down West Iron County 70-42. Stella Wickstrom had a double-double for the Gremlins, with 17 points and 13 rebounds. Meghan Trewhella added 16 points, with eight rebounds. Paige Sleeman scored 14 for Houghton, and Annika Peterson added 13. Danica Shamion led the Wykons with 21 points.
• Hancock got past Negaunee 51-43.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell defeated Jeffers 57-38. Emily Jokela scored 30 for the Lakes. Camaryn Crouch and Maddie Buschell each added 10. Sara Johnson led the Jets with 15 points, and Savannah Asiala scored 10.
• Baraga raced past Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 85-45.
• Ewen-Trout Creek edged Ontonagon 43-40.
In high school boys basketball last night…
• Jeffers stopped Lake Linden-Hubbell 62-32. Levi Frahm led the Jets 19 points. Johnny Schutz scored 11, and Andrew Kinnunen chipped in nine. Gabe Popke paced the Lakes with 12 points, and Marcus Sutherland added 10.
• Ewen-Trout Creek overpowered Ontonagon 74-44.
There’ll be two basketball battles of the bay between L’Anse and Baraga this afternoon at L’Anse high school – the girls game will tip off at 2:00, and the boys contest at 3:30.
In high school swimming, Houghton will join Sault Ste. Marie in a triangular at Marquette today.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team plays at Drury this evening, and Lindenwood tomorrow.
The NMU women’s team plays at Illinois-Springfield today.
The Northern men’s team hosts Indianapolis tomorrow.
Both Finlandia teams will face Martin Luther College tomorrow. The games will be played in Wisconsin Dells.
Ferris State University will face Valdosta State in the NCAA Division II Football Championship game tonight in McKinney, Texas.
The Calumet Wolverines defeated the Marquette Mutineers 6-1 at the Colosseum last night. Those teams face off again tonight in Marquette.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the New Jersey Devils tonight. Coverage will begin at 7:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Monday’s Wings’ game against Colorado has been postponed because of COVID-19 issues with the Avalanche. Both the Avalanche and the Florida Panthers have suspended play until after Christmas.
The Detroit Pistons host the Houston Rockets tonight.
• The game between the Las Vegas Raiders and the Cleveland Browns has been postponed because of COVID-19 issues. It will be made up as the first contest in a Monday night doubleheader.
• The New England Patriots call on the Indianapolis Colts for an 8:15 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Detroit Lions welcome the Arizona Cardinals for a 1:00 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Green Bay Packers visit the Baltimore Ravens for a 4:05 contest. A win by Green Bay would clinch the NFC North Division title.
Two other NFL games have also been postponed. Tomorrow’s contests between the Seattle Seahawks and the Los Angeles Rams, and the Washington Football Team and Philadelphia Eagles have been moved to Tuesday because of COVID-19 issues.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – high school hockey – Calumet at Detroit Country Day – 12:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Monday – high school boys basketball – Houghton at Calumet – 7:00 pregame on 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – high school hockey – Houghton at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.