In high school hockey Saturday…
• Houghton routed Novi 9-1 in a game that ended after two periods because of the mercy rule. The Gremlins dominated play from the start, but struggled to find the net early, and led just 2-0 after the first period. The floodgates opened after the first intermission, though, and the Gremlins reached the eight-goal mercy margin with two seconds remaining in the second period. Landon Stevens had a hat trick and two assists. Camden Markham had two goals and two assists. Ryan Vlahos and Oscar Peterson each scored once, and Sully Rajala had two goals in his first game back after missing the opening half of the season with an injury. The Gremlins outshot the Wildcats 24-3.
• Calumet fell to Brighton 6-2. Tom Erkkila and Paul Sturos scored for the Copper Kings, and Jackson Rilei assisted on both goals. Aksel Loukus made 26 saves, but took the loss in net.
• Hancock edged Northville 3-2.
• Jeffers and Kingsford skated to a 2-2 tie. The Jets took an early lead, with first period goals by Kellen Koskinen and Ethan Anderson. After a scoreless middle frame, the Flivvers found the net twice in the third period to force overtime. Simon Rajala made 40 saves for Jeffers.
In high school swimming Saturday, the Gremlins at their own Houghton Splash invitational – no report.
The Michigan Tech hockey team was off this weekend.
The Northern Michigan hockey team completed a weekend sweep of Colgate with a 6-3 victory Saturday.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey series at Trine University has been postponed again. The games originally scheduled for this weekend had been delayed to Monday and Tuesday because of COVID-19 issues with the Lions. The replacement games have now also been called off, and no new dates have been set.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team lost 7-0 to St. Scholastica Saturday night. The Lions were outshot 52-9.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team cruised past Purdue Northwest 83-55 Saturday. The Huskies never trailed, and led by as much as 39 points in the second half. Eric Carl sank six three-pointers, and led the Huskies with 22. Owen White added 17 points. The women’s game against the Pride was canceled because of COVID-19 concerns with the Purdue Northwest team.
The NMU men’s team swamped Wisconsin-Parkside 72-53 Saturday. The Wildcats women’s game against Parkside was postponed because of COVID-19 concerns.
The Finlandia women’s basketball game against Mount Mary scheduled for yesterday was postponed to January 16th at noon because of COVID-19 issues with the Blue Angels.
The Finlandia men fell to the University of Dubuque 98-78 Saturday.
The Calumet Wolverines fell 8-6 to the Fox Cities Ice Dogs Saturday night, despite Dylan Boberg’s natural hat trick in the third period.
The Portage Lake Pioneers had the weekend off.
The Detroit Red Wings lost 4-0 to the Los Angeles Kings Saturday.
The Wings will visit the Anaheim Ducks tonight, to make up the contest that was postponed on Thursday. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, coverage will begin at 7:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons got past the Orlando Magic 97-92 Saturday. Hamidou Diallo led Detroit with 17 points. Saddiq Bey scored 16, and Trey Lyles had 16 points and 13 rebounds.
The Pistons host the Utah Jazz tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The regular NFL season wraps up this weekend. On Saturday…
• The Kansas City Chiefs edged the Denver Broncos 28-24.
• The Dallas Cowboys pounded the Philadelphia Eagles 51-26.
• The Detroit Lions host the Green Bay Packers in a 1:00 contest.
• The Los Angeles Chargers visit the Las Vegas Raiders in the Sunday night contest.
Hear both broadcasts on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Monday – boys basketball – Negaunee at Calumet – coverage begins around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – hockey – Houghton at Negaunee – because of basketball on 97.7 The Wolf, coverage begins at 5:40 on KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – boys basketball – Houghton at Hancock – coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – Finlandia University basketball v Wisconsin-Superior – women’s game at 5:30, men’s game at 7:30 – coverage on 99.3 The Lift.
• Friday – hockey – Brother Rice at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday – hockey – Detroit-Jesuit at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Brother Rice at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Detroit-Jesuit at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.