In high school hockey last night…
- Houghton exploded for five goals in the second period, and swamped Marquette 6-1. Nathan Erva, Brendan Erickson, Carson Stevens, Jiseung Choi, Brad Gauthier and Dane Johnson scored for the Gremlins.
- Hancock fell to Escanaba 6-5.
- Calumet outskated Kingsford 6-2.
In hockey tomorrow…
- Houghton hosts Kingsford in a make-up game. Faceoff is at 1:00. Our pregame coverage will begin around 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
- Calumet skates at Escanaba.
In boys high school basketball last evening…
- Houghton lost a squeaker to Kingsford, 63-62.
- Calumet won a squeaker over Westwood 45-44. Will Twardzik’s free throw with time expired sealed the game.
- Lake Linden-Hubbell lost to Bessemer 78-55.
- Watersmeet at Jeffers – no report.
On the boys schedule tonight…
- Houghton journeys to Escanaba.
- Hancock welcomes Iron Mountain.
- Calumet travels to Gwinn.
- Lake Linden-Hubbell tips off at Jeffers. It’s Jeffers’ homecoming – the JV will start at 5:00, with the varsity tip-off 20 minutes after the homecoming ceremony.
- L’Anse plays at West Iron County.
- Baraga hosts Ewen-Trout Creek.
- Dollar Bay-Tamarack City travels to Republic-Michigamme.
In girls high school basketball last night…
- Marquette shut down Houghton 68-18.
- Calumet fell to West Iron County 45-41. Celia Kiilunen led the Copper Kings with 17 points.
- Lake Linden-Hubbell smothered Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 58-10.
- Jeffers lost a nailbiter to Ewen-Trout Creek 36-35.
- Chassell outscored Watersmeet 46-27.
- Ontonagon dominated Bessemer 62-28.
Tonight, Hancock plays at L’Anse in a game that was postponed from February 7th.
Tomorrow, the Houghton girls entertain Ontonagon, in a game that was postponed from February 7th. The JV game will begin at noon, followed by the varsity contest at 1:30.
The Houghton swim team will compete at the U.P. finals at Marquette tomorrow afternoon.
The Copper Country Ski Tigers will take part in the Michigan High School Cross Country Ski Championships in Ishpeming this weekend. The Ski Tigers are six-time defending state champions.
The Finlandia University women’s hockey team dropped a 9-0 decision at Aurora University last night. The Lions conclude their season with another game at Aurora this afternoon.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team returns to the Harris Cup tournament for the first time in seven seasons this weekend. The Lions play at top-seeded Saint Norbert College tonight and tomorrow night. Broadcast coverage of both games will begin at 7:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
Both Finlandia basketball teams have the weekend off.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams earned victories at Lake Superior State University last night.
The women never trailed, as they won their seventh straight game, 74-63 over the Lakers. Elizabeth Kelliher led the Huskies with 19 points.
The Tech men’s team held off a late LSSU rally to claim a 74-71 triumph. Bryan Heath scored 18 for the Huskies.
Both Tech teams will play at Ferris State University tomorrow afternoon.
Both NMU squads will play at Lake Superior State tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech hockey team will skate at Lake Superior State tonight and tomorrow night.
The NMU hockey squad will visit Bemidji State University tonight and tomorrow night.
The Portage Lake Pioneers welcome the Eagle River Falcons tonight, and the West Bend Bombers tomorrow night. Games begin at 7:30 at Dee Stadium.
The Calumet Wolverines host the Bombers tonight at 7:30 at the Colosseum, then visit the Fox Cities Ice Dogs tomorrow night.
The Detroit Red Wings won their second straight game last night, slipping past the Ottawa Senators 3-2. Andreas Athanasiou scored twice for Detroit, and Frans Nielsen netted the game-winner. Jimmy Howard made 40 saves in his 500th NHL game. The Wings visit the Philadelphia Flyers tomorrow afternoon. Pregame coverage will start at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.