Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey Saturday…
• Houghton improved to 9-0 with a 5-1 thumping of defending Division Two state champion Hartland. The Gremlins took a first-period lead on a Connor Arko goal. Hartland tied the contest briefly in the second period, but the Gremlins reeled off four straight to seal the win. Camden Markham had two goals and two assists, and Landon Stevens and Gab Carlson each had a goal and two assists. Bryant Lee made 25 saves.
• Calumet earned its first win of the season, shutting down De La Salle 4-1. Dan Loukus, Donnie Nicely, Cam Anderson and Isaac Larson scored for the Kings, and Landon Goulette had two assists. Aksel Loukus stopped 34 shots.
• Jeffers stopped Rhinelander 6-2.
In girls basketball Saturday…
• Calumet outscored Ishpeming 51-30.
The Michigan Tech hockey team salvaged a weekend split at Lake Superior State with a 5-1 victory Saturday. Jack Works, Kyle Kukkonen, Levi Stauber, Tristan Ashbrook and Tyrone Bronte scored for the Huskies. The Lakers’ only goal came late in the third period. Max Vayrynen stopped 18 shots to earn the win in net.
The Northern Michigan and Finlandia hockey teams have the weekend off.
The Michigan Tech women’s team cruised past Finlandia 76-44 Saturday. Ellie Mackay and Sloane Zenner led a balanced Huskies attack with 14 points each. Natalie Bartle of the Lions led all scorers with 24 points.
The Northern women’s team defeated Illinois-Springfield 67-53 Saturday.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team plays at Northern this afternoon.
Ferris State University won its second straight NCAA Division II national football title Saturday, dispatching the Colorado School of Mines 41-14.
The Portage Lake Pioneers outskated the Marquette Mutineers 8-3 Saturday.
The Calumet Wolverines v the De Pere Deacons Saturday – no report.
The Red Wings fell to the Senators 6-3 Saturday afternoon. Ottawa netted three goals in the third period to break a 3-3 tie. Ville Husso took the loss in net.
The Pistons entertain the Nets tonight.
In Saturday’s NFL games…
• The Vikings overcame a 33-0 halftime deficit to stun the Colts 39-36 in overtime. It was the largest comeback in NFL history, and it clinched the NFC North title for Minnesota.
• The Browns shut down the Ravens 13-3.
• Tyler Bass’ 25-yard field goal as time expired gave the Bills a 32-29 win over the Dolphins.
• The Lions visit the Jets for a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Commanders entertain the Giants in the Sunday night contest on 99.3 The Lift.
The Packers host the Rams in the Monday night game on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tomorrow – Calumet boys basketball plays at Houghton. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Calumet hockey visits Houghton. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Thursday – Calumet hockey hosts Hancock in Copper Island Classic Game One. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Calumet hockey hosts Hancock in Copper Island Classic Game Two. Coverage will begin at 4:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.