In high school hockey yesterday…
– Jeffers lost to Chelsea 9-3 at the Gaylord DIII Challenge. Matthew Halonen scored twice for the Jets, and Kyler Hillstrom scored once.
– Hancock used a fast start to defeat Rochester United 7-4. The Bulldogs led 6-1 at the end of the first period. Mason Mikesch and Austin Salani had hat tricks for the Gremlins, and Kyle Maki scored once.
– Houghton shut down Utica Eisenhower 5-1. Carson Stevens, Ty Halonen Tucker Tapani, Camden Markham and Niko Rajala scored for the Gremlins. Jimmy Pietila made 23 saves, with Eisenhower’s only goal coming late in the game.
– Houghton hosts Rochester. Our broadcast will begin at 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet entertains Utica Eisenhower at 2:00.
– Jeffers faces Grosse Ile at the Gaylord DIII Challenge at 6:00.
In boys basketball last night…
– Calumet lost at Iron Mountain 73-43. Eli McParlan scored 25 for the Copper Kings.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City held off Jeffers 60-51. Ashton Janke scored 24 for the Blue Bolts, and Davin Hill added 19.
In girls basketball last night…
– Hancock shut down Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 58-15. D’Andra Kero led the Bulldogs with 14 points, and Taylor Sebbas added 12. Ashlea Datto scored 11 for the Blue Bolts.
– Houghton dropped a 66-50 decision at Negaunee. Maryellen Trewhella had 17 for the Gremlins.
– Ewen-Trout Creek smothered Lake Linden-Hubbell 64-10. Abbie LaGault scored 16 for the Panthers, and Paige Bergland added 15.
– Baraga buried Bessemer 68-12.
In high school swimming today, Houghton joins Sault Ste. Marie at the Marquette Triangular.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie with fourth-ranked Clarkson last night. Alex Smith gave the Huskies an early 1-0 lead. After the Golden Knights scored two, Greyson Reitmeier tied it early in the third period. Matt Jurusik made 25 saves. Those teams skate again tonight at 6:07 at the SDC.
The NMU hockey team lost 5-2 to top-ranked Minnesota State last night. Those teams play again tonight in Marquette.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will host Northern Michigan University tomorrow afternoon. The women’s contest will start at 1:00, and the men’s game at 3:00.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball team will play at Maranatha Baptist this afternoon.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Calumet Wolverines celebrated coach Cukie Koppo’s 75th birthday with a 6-3 victory over the Portage Lake Pioneers at the Colosseum last night. Those teams face off again tonight at 7:30 at the Dee.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Montreal Canadiens tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Anthony Mantha could return to the Wings’ lineup tonight, after missing three weeks. Andreas Athanasiou could also be back, after sitting out a couple of games.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Houston Rockets tonight.
In the NFL Sunday, the Detroit Lions host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift. The Green Bay Packers entertain the Chicago Bears in a 1:00 contest.
The rebuild of the Brewers’ starting rotation continued yesterday, as Milwaukee signed former Oakland Athletic Brett Anderson to a one-year deal. Anderson was 13-9 last season. Earlier this week, the Crew agreed to a three-year deal to bring Josh Lindblom back from the South Korean league. He was the Korean Baseball Organization’s Most Valuable Player last season.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.