In boys high school basketball last night…
• Houghton cruised past West Iron County 66-38.
• Jeffers outscored Ewen-Trout Creek 70-59. Four Jets reached double figures, led by Levi Frahm with 20 points. Johnny Schutz added 13, Lance Heinonen 12, and Isaiah Frahm 11. Ewen’s Jaden Borseth scored 27.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost to Watersmeet 47-38.
In girls play last evening…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City defeated Watersmeet 48-37.
On the girls schedule tonight…
• Calumet hosts Chassell.
• Ontonagon visits Bessemer.
In girls-boys doubleheaders…
• L’Anse plays at Baraga – the boys at 5:45, and the girls at 7:15.
• Ewen-Trout Creek welcomes Watersmeet.
In high school swimming today…
• Houghton competes at Kingsford.
There has been a change in the schedule for hockey games this weekend at the Trenton Showcase. Calumet’s contest against St. Ignatius has been rescheduled from tomorrow morning to tomorrow evening. Coverage will begin at 6:20 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
There has also been a change in tomorrow night’s boys high school basketball schedule. The Republic-Michigamme game at Lake Linden-Hubbell has been canceled. To fill out Spirit Week, the Lakes will host Hancock, in a game that has been moved up from March 1st.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams play at Purdue Northwest tonight.
Both Northern teams play at Wisconsin-Parkside.
Calumet High School football standout Dryden Nelson will join the Michigan Tech football team. The Huskies introduced the incoming 2022 class yesterday. Nelson is listed as a running back and slot receiver. Two Marquette High School players will join him at Tech next season – quarterback Austin Ridl and running back Desmond Mullen. Overall, there are 16 new Huskies on their way to Houghton, including 14 from Michigan, one from Illinois, and one from Texas. Meet the full class here.
Eli Ostermeyer from L’Anse will be among 23 new players who committed to Northern Michigan University yesterday. He’ll be a lineman. Other U.P. players joining the Wildcats include Diego Prezlekowski and Brody Kopp from Kingsford, Bode Bonovetz from Negaunee, and Owen Beauchamp from Marquette. Max Blamey and Tony Cummings have also signed on – they both played for Hurley. Meet the full class here.
The Detroit Red Wings fell to the Los Angeles Kings 5-3 last evening. The score was 3-2 Los Angeles until Detroit pulled their goalie. In the final 87 seconds, the Kings scored two empty-netters, and the Wings scored once. Alex Nedeljkovic made 40 saves.
The Wings are off until Wednesday, when they visit the Philadelphia Flyers. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit assistant general manager Pat Verbeek is expected to be introduced today as the new general manager of the Anaheim Ducks.
The Detroit Pistons entertain the Minnesota Timberwolves tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Valley Sno Drifters will hold their annual spaghetti dinner at the Dreamland Restaurant and Bar in Bootjack Saturday between noon and 6:00. Enjoy as much spaghetti as you care to eat, along with a roll, coleslaw and coffee, for $12.00. Take-out orders will be available. Proceeds will help maintain the Point Mills, Bootjack, Mud Lake, Rice Lake and Gay snowmobile trails.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – Trenton Showcase hockey – Houghton v Brighton – 6:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tomorrow – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v St. Ignatius – 6:20 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Saturday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Houghton v Orchard Lake St. Mary – 10:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v Grosse Pointe South – 11:30 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Sunday – basketball – Christopher Newport at Finlandia women – 12:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.