In high school boys basketball last night…
– Houghton lost to Kingsford 61-57.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell outscored Republic-Michigamme 85-55. William Lyons led the Lakes with 22 points.
– Jeffers downed Ontonagon 60-50.
– L’Anse fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 64-60.
– Bessemer defeated Ewen-Trout Creek 60-52. Jaden Borseth scored 26 for the Panthers.
On the boys schedule tonight…
– Calumet entertains Baraga.
– Houghton hosts West Iron County.
– L’Anse travels to Watersmeet.
In girls hoops last night…
– Houghton lost to Iron Mountain 59-55.
– L’Anse shut down Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 75-28. Maija Rice scored 22 for the Purple Hornets. Ashley Datto led the Blue Bolts with nine points.
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Hancock tips off at Baraga.
– Jeffers hosts Wakefield-Marenisco.
– Chassell welcomes Ontonagon.
– Ewen-Trout Creek visits Bessemer.
The Houghton Alpine Ski Team hosts a meet at Mont Ripley today.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Michigan Tech’s Kyle Monroe has collected another GLIAC North Division Men’s Basketball Player of the Week award. It’s his fourth of the season. Monroe scored 59 points in the Huskies’ recent wins over Wayne State and Ashland.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team will entertain Northland College tonight at 7:00.
The Finlandia softball team has announced a new recruit. Xandra McCullough is a catcher from Harper Creek High School, near Battle Creek.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Montreal Canadiens tonight. Coverage will begin at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Cleveland Cavaliers this evening.
Blake Griffin will have his aching left knee evaluated by a specialist this week. There are reports that he might need a second operation on the knee, which would sideline him for the rest of the season. Griffin has missed half of Detroit’s games this season.
Former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy has agreed to become the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. McCarthy led the Packers to the playoffs nine times in his 13 seasons with the team, and won the Super Bowl in 2011.
The U.S. Cross Country Ski Championships wrap up with the Classic Sprint on the Tech Trails today.
Link to full results here.
The Detroit Tigers have signed a one-year contract with pitcher Michael Fulmer. The $2.8 million deal means Fulmer and the team will avoid arbitration. Fulmer has battled health issues over the past two seasons, including a nerve problem in his elbow, and knee surgery. He’s currently recovering from Tommy John ligament replacement surgery, and is not expected to be able to pitch until mid-summer.
Our high school basketball coverage continues Thursday, when the Dollar Bay-Tamarack City boys play at Lake Linden-Hubbell. The pregame show will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.