Click on the blue links for more details.
In high school football last night…
– Hancock defeated Calumet 42-24. Alex Nordstrom rushed for more than 100 yards, and scored four touchdowns for the Bulldogs.
– Houghton fell to West Iron County 7-0.
– Foster Miller rushed for 230 yards and three touchdowns, as L’Anse edged Hurley 20-18. The victory keeps the Purple Hornets on top of the WestPAC.
– Northland Pines got past the Gogebic Miners 20-14.
1. L’Anse Purple Hornets (4-0, 4-1)
2. West Iron County Wykons (3-0, 4-1)
3. Hancock Bulldogs (3-1, 4-1)
4. Hurley Midgets (3-2, 3-2)
5. Calumet Copper Kings (2-2, 3-2)
6. Northland Pines Eagles (1-3, 1-5)
7. Gogebic Miners (1-4, 1-4)
8. Houghton Gremlins (0-4, 0-5)
In eight-man play…
– Ontonagon cruised past North Dickinson 34-6.
Western Eight Standings
1. Rapid River Rockets (5-0, 5-0)
2. Stephenson Eagles (2-0, 4-0) – play today
3. Ontonagon Gladiators (3-1, 3-1)
4. Forest Park Trojans (2-2, 3-2)
5. North Central Jets (1-2, 2-2)
6. Superior Central Cougars (1-3, 1-3) – play today
7. North Dickinson Nordics (1-4, 1-4)
6. Carney-Nadeau Wolves (0-3, 2-3)
– Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Newberry. The inaugural class in the Lakes’ Hall of Fame will be inducted at a reception at the school at 9:30, and will also be saluted at halftime during the game. Read about the Hall of Fame members here.
1. Newberry Indians (2-0, 3-1) – play today
2. Norway Knights (1-0, 5-0)
3. Munising Mustangs (1-1, 3-2)
4. Bark River-Harris Broncos (0-2, 3-2)
5. Lake Linden-Hubbell Lakes (0-1, 0-3) – play today
In volleyball, L’Anse plays at the Northland Pines Tournament today.
In hockey, Team Copper Country hosts Marquette for games at 11:30 and 4:00 today.
The Finlandia University volleyball team opened the Ripon Quadrangular with a 3-0 (18-25, 18-25, 20-25) loss to Simpson College last night. Kaisa Holmstrom had 11 kills for Finlandia. Jessie Diaz collected eight digs to move her career total to 804. She is just the second Lion to reach that level. The Lions will face Ripon and Wisconsin-River Falls today.
The Michigan Tech soccer team lost 2-1 at Davenport University last night. The Huskies drew first blood on freshman Emily Zeitunian’s first college goal, but the Panthers broke through for two late scores to take the win. Tech plays at Purdue Northwest tomorrow morning. The start time has been moved up to 10:00 because of unseasonably warm weather.
The MTU volleyball team dropped a 3-0 (24-26, 15-25, 24-26) decision at seventh-ranked Ferris State last night. MacAulay Petersen had 13 kills, and Laura DeMarchi recorded 30 assists and 12 digs. The Huskies play at Northwood this afternoon.
The Tech football team visits Saginaw Valley State today.
The Northern Michigan University football team entertains Davenport this afternoon.
Daniel Norris’ return to the starting rotation ended quickly, as the Detroit Tigers lost to the Minnesota Twins 7-3 last night. Norris gave up five runs before leaving in the fifth inning. Ian Kinsler and Nicholas Castellanos homered for Detroit.
The Tigers entertain the Twins again tonight. Matthew Boyd will pitch against Ervin Santana. Pregame coverage will begin at 5:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers are beginning their search for a new manager. General Manager Al Avila announced yesterday that Brad Ausmus will not return next season. Ausmus guided the team for four years. His contract expires at the end of this season. In a story published by MLB.com, Avila expressed regret that management had not been able to put the right roster together in the past several seasons. Ausmus confirmed that he was leaning toward not accepting a contract if it was offered, given the lengthy rebuilding process the team is facing.
Corey Knebel gave up a bases-loaded walk in the 10th inning, and the Chicago Cubs edged the Milwaukee Brewers 5-4 last night. Steven Vogt, Travis Shaw and Brett Phillips homered for Milwaukee.
The Brewers continue that home set against the Cubs this afternoon. Brent Suter will start against Kyle Hendricks.
With eight games remaining, Milwaukee now trails Chicago by five and a half games in the National League Central Division, and is a half-game behind Saint Louis. Any combination of five Cubs wins or Cardinals losses clinches the division title for Chicago.
The Detroit Lions host the Atlanta Falcons in a 1:00 game tomorrow. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers have a 4:25 game at home tomorrow against the Bengals.
The Detroit Red Wings will compete for the first time in their new downtown Detroit arena tonight, as they host the Boston Bruins in preseason play.
Superior National Bank-Stanton will face the Marquette County Mavericks for Upper Peninsula baseball bragging rights today. The nine-inning game will pit the local Twilight League champion against the Superiorland League winner to establish a U.P. champion. Twilight League commissioner Daron Durocher says they’re hoping to make this an annual tradition. Action begins at 2:30 at the Stanton field.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.