In high school volleyball last night…
• Houghton lost a tough 3-2 (14-25, 16-25, 25-21, 25-12, 8-15) decision to Negaunee. The Gremlins struggled in the first two sets, found their footing in the third, dominated the fourth, but ran out of momentum in the fifth.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0.
• Baraga blanked L’Anse 3-0 (25-20, 25-16, 25-14).
• Jeffers swept Chassell 3-0 (25-5, 25-15, 25-13). Sara Johnson and Madisyn Stevens led the Jets with 10 aces.
• Ewen-Trout Creek swept Watersmeet 3-0.
On the volleyball schedule this evening…
• Hancock welcomes Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
In cross country, Houghton swept the Hancock invitational yesterday…
• The boys easily outpaced Jeffers. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City was third, followed by Ironwood, Watersmeet and Republic-Michigamme. Eric Weiss of the Gremlins took first place, with Dollar Bay’s Nikolas Thomas second.
• The girls shaded Hancock by just four points. Ironwood, Calumet and Dollar Bay-Tamarack City finished out the team standings. Lola Korpi of Ishpeming was the girls individual winner, with Houghton’s Claire Filpus second.
• See full results here.
In high school football tonight…
• Calumet’s game against West Iron County has been canceled because the Wykons don’t have enough healthy players to field a team.
• Hancock plays at Gwinn.
• L’Anse entertains Iron Mountain.
• Houghton plays at Bark River-Harris. Coverage will start at 1:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits North Central. The broadcast will start at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Michigan Tech football team has the weekend off.
The Northern Michigan University football team hosts Davenport University tomorrow.
The Finlandia University football team is off this weekend.
The Michigan Tech soccer team hosts Davenport tonight, and Grand Valley State on Sunday.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team plays at Lawrence University Sunday.
The Finlandia women’s team plays at Ripon College tomorrow, and Carroll University Sunday.
The Finlandia volleyball team is at the Lawrence Invitational this weekend. The Lions will face Mount Mary this afternoon, Lawrence tonight, and Maranatha Baptist and the Milwaukee School of Engineering tomorrow.
The MTU volleyball team entertains Grand Valley State today at 5:00, and Davenport tomorrow afternoon at 2:00.
The Detroit Tigers fell to the Tampa Bay Rays 5-2 last night. Tyler Alexander gave up four runs before leaving in the sixth inning, and took the loss. Niko Goodrum and Jeimer Candelario homered.
The Tigers visit the Rays again tonight. Casey Mize will start against Luis Patiño. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers had yesterday off, and entertain the Chicago Cubs tonight. Adrian Houser will pitch against Zach Davies.
In last night’s NFL game, Dustin Hopkins kicked a 43-yard field goal after time had expired to give the Washington Football Team a 30-29 victory over the New York Giants. The no-time-on-the-clock play came seconds after Hopkins’ earlier miss was waived off because of a penalty, giving him a second chance.
The Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers meet in the Monday night game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton football team visits Bark River-Harris tomorrow. Coverage will start at 1:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Central tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.