In girls high school basketball last night…
• Houghton defeated Marquette 64-48. Paige Sleeman and Annika Peterson each scored 18 points, and Meghan Trewhella added 13 points with six assists. Stella Wickstrom grabbed 16 rebounds.
• Hancock dispatched West Iron County 39-30.
• Jeffers got past Lake Linden-Hubbell 51-46. Kyla Larson and Savannah Asiala each scored 14 for the Jets, and Taylor Heinonen had 12 points. Emily Jokela scored 34 for the Lakes.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City downed Chassell 34-29.
• Baraga outscored North Dickinson 56-34.
• Ontonagon defeated L’Anse 44-39.
• Ewen-Trout Creek cruised past Northland Pines 66-40.
In boys hoops last night…
• Houghton fell to Negaunee 60-52 in overtime.
• L’Anse downed Ontonagon 67-40.
• Baraga lost at Republic-Michigamme 58-21.
On the boys schedule this evening…
• Calumet travels to L’Anse.
• Hancock hosts Gwinn.
• Jeffers plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• Ontonagon welcomes Ironwood.
In girls action tonight…
• Calumet entertains Negaunee.
In a girls-boys doubleheader…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City journeys to Wakefield-Marenisco.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Calumet skates at Marquette, in a game that could determine the champion of the Great Lakes Hockey Conference. The Copper Kings hold a 6-0 conference record. The Redmen are just behind, with their only conference loss to Calumet earlier this season. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
The Michigan Tech hockey team skates at Northern Michigan tonight. It’s the final make-up game from the series that was postponed in January because of COVID-19 issues.
Tech’s Tommy Parrottino has been named the Central Collegiate Hockey Association Forward of the Week. Parrottino scored four goals and added two assists as the Huskies defeated Northern Michigan, and skated to a win and a tie against St. Thomas.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team plays at Bay College tonight.
Finlandia’s Danny Zuchak has been named the Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. He is the first player from Finlandia to earn the award. Zuchak scored 24 points in the Lionks’ recent victory over Maranatha Baptist.
Michigan Tech’s Owen White has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. White averaged 17 points per game in the Huskies’ wins over Northern Michigan, Wisconsin-Parkside and Purdue Northwest last week.
Former Houghton High School standout Riley Laitinen has committed to play for the Finlandia University women’s soccer team. Laitinen has transferred in from Michigan Tech this semester. She competed in club soccer in Houghton, and was also on the basketball, swim, and track and field teams.
Former Michigan Tech Nordic skier Deedra Irwin placed seventh in yesterday’s 15K individual start in the biathlon. It was the best finish for any American woman in the history of the event. Irwin crossed the line in 44:14.1 and had only one shooting penalty.
The Detroit Red Wings return to the ice tomorrow, when they visit the Philadelphia Flyers. Because of Finlandia University basketball on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 6:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Dallas Mavericks tonight. Coverage will begin at 8:05 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Lions have apparently selected their next offensive coordinator. Multiple reports say that tight ends coach Ben Johnson will be promoted. He’ll replace Anthony Lynn, who fell out of favor during last season, and is now on the staff of the San Francisco 49ers.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – hockey – Calumet at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – basketball – Wisconsin-Superior at Finlandia men – 7:10 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Thursday – Wing Ding basketball doubleheader – Hancock girls and boys at Houghton – 5:25 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Wing Ding hockey – Hancock at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Notre Dame de la Baie at Calumet – 3:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.