Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school volleyball last night…
– Houghton defeated Calumet 3-1.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell got past Wakefield-Marenisco 3-1 (23-25, 25-18, 29-27, 25-16).
– Baraga beat L’Anse 3-1.
– Ewen-Trout Creek downed Watersmeet 3-1.
Tonight, Dollar Bay entertains Ontonagon.
At the Hancock Invitational cross country meet at McLain State Park yesterday…
– Houghton took the girls’ title. Calumet was second, Chassell third, Ishpeming fourth, and Hancock fifth. Lela Rautiola of the Panthers was the individual winner, followed by Lily Wieringa of the Gogebic Miners, Dollar Bay’s Cami Daavettila, Garcia Asiala from Jeffers, and Anabel Needham from Houghton.
– Ishpeming narrowly defeated Houghton for the boys’ team championship. Gogebic was third, followed by Chassell and Calumet. Grady Kerst and Spencer Giroux of the Hematites finished first and second, followed by Clayton Sayen, Nick Wilson and Seth Helman of the Gremlins.
In high school football tonight…
– Calumet plays at Houghton. At 3-0, the Gremlins are off to their best start since 2001. Our pregame show will begin around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell plays the Gogebic Miners in Bessemer.
– Hancock entertains L’Anse.
– Baraga hosts Carney-Nadeau.
– Ontonagon welcomes Rapid River.
– The Ewen-Trout Creek game at North Central originally scheduled for tonight has been postponed until tomorrow afternoon because of a conflict with the officiating crew. Kickoff will be at 1:00 Eastern time in Powers.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team plays at Lake Superior State tonight, and Saginaw Valley State tomorrow afternoon.
The Huskies football team plays at Ohio Dominican tomorrow afternoon.
The Tech soccer team plays at Northern Michigan University tomorrow afternoon.
The MTU women’s tennis team entertains Ashland tomorrow morning, and Walsh Sunday morning. The men’s tennis team plays at the ITA Regionals in Indianapolis this weekend.
The Northern Michigan University football team plays at Grand Valley State tomorrow night.
Both Finlandia soccer teams play at North Central University today. On Sunday afternoon, the men’s team plays at Bethel University, and the women’s team plays at Bethany Lutheran college.
The Finlandia volleyball team plays at Grace Bible College in Grand Rapids tonight. The Lions head to Kalamazoo tomorrow, and will face Anderson University and Hiram College.
The Finlandia football team plays at Wisconsin-Oshkosh tomorrow afternoon.
Mike Pelfrey’s return to the starting rotation was a brief one, as the Detroit Tigers lost to the Minnesota Twins 5-1 yesterday afternoon. Pelfrey was driven from the game as the Twins scored four runs in the second inning.
The Tigers open a weekend series in Cleveland tonight. Michael Fulmer will start against Corey Kluber. Hear the first pitch at 7:10 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Indians also lost last night, so they still lead the Tigers by six games in the American League Central Division. Any combination of 11 Cleveland wins or Detroit losses clinches the division title for the Indians. Toronto won and Baltimore lost, so the Tigers trail both of those teams by two games in the race for the final American League wild card playoff berth.
The Milwaukee Brewers edged the Chicago Cubs 5-4 last night. Keon Broxton homered. Despite the loss, the Cubs clinched the National League Central Division crown when the Giants defeated the Cardinals.
The Brewers continue that set in Chicago tonight. Chase Anderson will pitch against John Lackey.
In last night’s NFL game, Matt Forte rushed for 100 yards as the New York Jets defeated the Buffalo Bills 37-31.
On Sunday afternoon, the Lions host the Titans. Sunday night, the Packers visit the Vikings.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.