In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton fell to Marquette 2-0. Jimmy Pietila stopped 25 shots for the Gremlins.
• Dean Loukus’ hat trick led Calumet to a 10-2 pasting of Kingsford. The Copper Kings scored five goals in the third period to end the game 88 seconds early under the mercy rule. Loukus added two assists. Ayden Williams scored twice, and the Kings got single goals from Jackson Rilei, Zach Larson, Cliff Jurmu, Paul Sturos and Caden Lehto. Noah Jukuri had four assists. Jack Helminen got the win, as the Kings outshot the Flivvers 46-13.
On the hockey schedule tonight…
• Hancock entertains Escanaba.
• Calumet hosts Rochester in a 9:30 am game.
• Hancock hosts Rochester in an afternoon contest. Coverage will begin at 3:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
• Calumet entertains Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
• Jeffers skates at Marquette.
• Houghton hosts Rochester. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school boys basketball last night…
• Houghton fell to Kingsford 52-24.
• Calumet lost to Westwood 62-46.
• Chassell edged Bessemer 49-47. Karl Rautiola scored 22 for the Panthers.
• Ewen-Trout Creek raced past Baraga 82-56.
• Jeffers outscored L’Anse 88-40. Christian Hocking had 27 points and 12 rebounds for the Jets, and Johnny Schutz scored 22. Alex Kissel scored 16 for the Purple Hornets.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell downed Ontonagon 49-38. Travis Ongie led the Lakes with 18 points.
In girls action last night…
• Houghton edged Marquette 57-55.
• Calumet cruised past West Iron County 63-50. Marybeth Halonen led the Copper Kings with 15 points, and Elli Djerf added 12.
• Chassell stopped Bessemer 55-23. Ally Etelemaki paced the Panthers with 12 points, and Maelene Warren added 11.
• Ewen-Trout Creek outscored Baraga 59-39.
• L’Anse shut down Jeffers 60-17.
• Ontonagon stifled Lake Linden-Hubbell 63-24.
On the girls schedule tonight…
• The Dollar Bay-Tamarack City v Wakefield-Marenisco game has been postponed because of COVID protocol at Dollar Bay.
On the boys schedule tonight…
• Houghton travels to Bessemer.
• Hancock entertains Iron Mountain.
• Calumet visits Gwinn.
• Wakefield-Marenisco at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City – Coverage begins at 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In girls action tomorrow…
• Chassell plays at Hancock at 2:30.
In a girls-boys doubleheader tomorrow…
• Baraga plays at Ontonagon, with the first game at 1:30.
In high school swimming yesterday…
• The Houghton swim teams swept Ishpeming – the girls 88-77, and the boys 118-26. Girls winners included Leah Komarzec in the 100 butterfly and 100 breaststroke, and Eva Anderson in the 100 freestyle. The boys won every event, with Davin Evans taking the 100 and 200 freestyles, and Conner Holombo the 50 and 500 freestyles. See full results here.
In swimming tomorrow…
• Houghton hosts Sault Ste. Marie.
At the Upper Peninsula Alpine Skiing finals yesterday, the Houghton girls took the title, and the boys finished second to Ironwood. The girls head to the state championship Monday at Boyne Highlands. Reed Heathman of the Gremlins will join them, after winning individual honors in the slalom and giant slalom yesterday. See full results here. (We are sorry that it is upside down – that is the way we received it.)
Heathman led the All-U.P. boys first team, with fellow Gremlin Mikko Salmi named to the second team. Houghton’s Ashley Lemann was named to the girls first team, and Lydia Salmi was an honorable mention.
Both Finlandia basketball teams play at North Central University in Minnesota tomorrow.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams face Grand Valley State University this weekend. The men tip off at home today at noon, and tomorrow morning at 11:00. The women play in Allendale tomorrow and Sunday.
Both Northern Michigan University hoops teams take on Davenport University this weekend. The women play tonight and tomorrow in Grand Rapids. The men are at home tomorrow and Sunday.
The Michigan Tech hockey team entertains Bemidji State University tonight and tomorrow night.
The Northern Michigan University hockey squad hosts Bowling Green tomorrow and Sunday.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team visits Saint Scholastica tonight. Those teams will play again tomorrow evening in Hancock. Coverage of tomorrow’s game begins at 6:40 on 99.3 the Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference volleyball schedule begins this weekend. Competition was delayed from last fall because of COVID-19 concerns. Michigan Tech will host Lake Superior State tomorrow at 3:00, and Sunday at 1:00.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team has added a new recruit. Yahir Avila is a goalkeeper from Moxee, Washington.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Florida Panthers tonight. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Memphis Grizzlies this evening.
The Detroit Tigers have signed former Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Wily Peralta to a minor-league contract. The Tigers have lost reliever John Schreiber, who was claimed off waivers by the Boston Red Sox yesterday.
Former major league pitcher Lew Krausse has died at age 77. He started the first Milwaukee Brewers game in 1970.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.