Click on the highlights scores for more game details.
Hancock and Houghton will face off for the hockey regional championship Tuesday, after victories in the semifinals last night.
The Gremlins dispatched Jeffers 8-1. Jace DeForge led Houghton with two goals and three assists. Mikey Maillette and Landon Stevens each scored twice, and Camden Markham and Sully Rajala found the net once. Kailob Bianco netted Jeffers’ only goal. Bryant Lee made 20 saves for the Gremlins, and Simon Rajala stopped 32 shots for the Jets.
Hancock blanked Calumet 3-0. The game was scoreless until Brady Galleto lit the lamp twice in the third period. Bennett Sturos’ empty-netter sealed the win. Dan Wroblewski made 27 saves to earn the shutout in net.
The regional final will start Tuesday at 7:00 at the SDC. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
On the final night of the girls basketball season…
• Houghton stuffed Ontonagon 62-37.
• Baraga fell to Ewen-Trout Creek 64-62 in overtime.
From last night’s boys schedule…
• Houghton lost to Iron Mountain 92-48
• Jeffers downed Ewen-Trout Creek 61-47.
• Hancock outscored West Iron County 52-40.
• Ontonagon fell to Ironwood 69-57.
• The Dollar Bay-Tamarack City game against Stephenson was called off.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball season ended with a 96-61 loss to unbeaten Christopher Newport in the semifinals of the Coast to Coast Athletic Conference tournament yesterday. Natalie Bartle scored 31 for the Lions, and set a new school record with 527 points for the season.
The regular Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference season wraps up today, as Michigan Tech hosts Northern. The women’s game starts at 1:00, and the men’s contest at 3:00.
Eleventh-ranked Michigan Tech blanked 12-ranked Minnesota State 2-0 last night. Kyle Kukkonen scored the game-winner in the third period, and Logan Pietila added a late empty-netter. Blake Pietila stopped 35 shots to earn his school-record ninth shutout of the season. Those teams close their seasons tonight in Mankato. The Huskies lead the Mavericks by one point in the CCHA standings. A win tonight would give the Huskies sole possession of the MacNaughton Cup as the CCHA regular season champions.
Northern Michigan scored the game’s final three goals, and defeated Bowling Green 4-2 last evening. Those teams end their regular seasons tonight in Ohio.
The Calumet Wolverines fell 11-5 to the Eagle River Falcons last night. The Wolverines host the Mosinee Papermakers tonight at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Portage Lake Pioneers host the Falcons tonight at 7:30, and the Papermakers tomorrow at noon at the Dee.
The Red Wings host the Lightning this evening. Coverage will begin at 7:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons entertain the Raptors this afternoon. Coverage begins at 11:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers open their Grapefruit League season against the Phillies this afternoon. Garrett Hill will start for Detroit.
The Brewers begin their Cactus League campaign against the Dodgers. Robert Stock will start for the Crew.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Monday – Houghton girls basketball plays at Kingsford in a Division Two District semifinal. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Houghton faces Hancock in the regional championship game at the SDC. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Wednesday – Calumet girls basketball v Westwood or Negaunee in a Division Three District semifinal – Coverage TBD on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Wednesday – Girls basketball Division Two District championship – TBD – To be broadcast if Houghton advances on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Friday – Girls basketball Division Three District Championship – TBD – To be broadcast if Calumet advances on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org