In high school hockey Saturday…
– Ty Halonen’s goal with 11 seconds remaining in regulation forced overtime, and Camden Markham’s tally 55 seconds into the extra stanza gave Houghton a thrilling 6-5 victory over Novi. Nathan Erva had a goal and two assists for the Gremlins, and Gaborik Carlson and Brandon Trudeau each had one goal and one assist. Jimmy Pietila made 32 saves.
– Hancock edged Northville 2-1. Austin Salani scored both Bulldogs’ goals.
The Copper Country Christian basketball teams split their games against the Delta County Knights Saturday. The girls won, 29-14. Esther Bishop had 10 points, and Beka O’Connor added nine. The boys lost, 48-30. Noah Bach led the Warriors with 14 points.
The Houghton swim team at the Marquette Invitational Saturday – no report.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The 17th-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie with 16th-ranked Bowling Green Saturday. The Falcons earned the extra WCHA standings point with a goal in the 3-on-3 double overtime period. Raymond Brice and Brian Halonen scored for the Huskies. Matt Jurusik made 17 saves.
19th-ranked Northern Michigan University defeated Alaska-Anchorage 6-3 on Saturday.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams earned victories at Purdue Northwest Saturday.
– The women cruised to a 75-55 triumph. Cassidy Trotter and Hannah Hobson each scored 17 for the Huskies.
– The Tech men’s team built a halftime lead, and hung on for an 84-77 win. Kyle Monroe scored 30 points.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team dropped a 3-2 overtime decision to 11th-ranked Lake Forest Saturday. Dylan Pavola and Dimitri Samusev scored for the Lions. Santeri Seppanen made 26 saves.
The Lions women’s hockey team lost 5-0 at Saint Benedict Saturday. FinnU was outshot 56-20.
Both Finlandia basketball teams host Holy Family College this afternoon. The women’s game begins at 1:00, and the men’s at 3:00.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Portage Lake Pioneers lost to the Eagle River Falcons 5-4 in shootout Saturday evening.
The Calumet Wolverines fell 6-4 to the Papermakers in Mosinee Saturday.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Buffalo Sabres today. Because of NFL football, coverage will begin at 4:40 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons lost 108-99 to the Chicago Bulls Saturday night. Derrick Rose led Detroit with 20 points.
In the NFL playoffs this weekend…
– Saturday, the Vikings lost to the 49ers 27-10. The Titans stunned the Ravens 28-12.
– Today, the Texans visit Kansas City at 3:05, and the Packers host the Seahawks at 6:40.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Lions have hired Brayden Coombs as their new special teams coach. Coombs is only 33, but has spent the past 10 years on the staff of the Cincinnati Bengals – the last seven as assistant special teams coach.
The Milwaukee Brewers have signed a one-year deal with veteran third baseman Jedd Gyorko. The contract also includes a club option for 2021. Gyorko is trying to rebound after an injury-plagued season that saw him hit just .174 in 101 plate appearances for the Cardinals and Dodgers. To make room on the 40-man roster, pitcher Jake Faria was designated for assignment.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.