The girls high school basketball tournament tipped off last night…
• In Division Four District 98 quarterfinal action, Chassell eliminated Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 58-39. The Panthers will play at Ontonagon tomorrow. Baraga will face Lake Linden-Hubbell in the other district semifinal.
• In Division Three quarterfinals, L’Anse defeated Ishpeming 40-28. The Purple Hornets will face Calumet in one semifinal tomorrow night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 97.7 The Wolf and TheWolf.com. Negaunee edged Westwood 47-45. Hancock ousted Jeffers 72-26. The Bulldogs and Miners will meet in the other district semifinal tomorrow at 7:00. We’ll join that game in progress after the Houghton game on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
• In Division Two semifinals, Houghton eliminated Kingsford 65-40. Paige Sleeman scored 22, and Stella Wickstrom added 20. Escanaba defeated Gladstone 65-48. The Gremlins and the Eskymoes play for the district title tomorrow night in Houghton. Coverage starts at 5:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
Boys districts begin with quarterfinal games tonight…
• In Division Four, District 98, Baraga plays Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• In Division Four, District 97, Ontonagon visits Wakefield-Marenisco.
• In Division Three, Ishpeming hosts Ironwood. The Hancock-Westwood game has been called off, because the Bulldogs have COVID-19 issues. Calumet plays at L’Anse – coverage begins at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
• In Division Two, Houghton hosts Gladstone. Coverage begins at 5:40 on 97.7 The Wolf and TheWolf.com.
See our full tournament broadcast schedule at KBear102.com.
Ewen-Trout Creek’s Jaden Borseth has been named the boys Most Valuable Player in the Copper Mountain Conference this year. Jeffers’ John Schutz was named Coach of the Year. Connor LeClaire of Dollar Bay-Tamarack City was named Defensive Player of the Year. He’s joined on the Elite Team by teammate Davin Hill, Christian Hocking and John Schutz from Jeffers, and Chassell’s Karl Rautiola.
That group also makes up the Copper Country Division first team. Second team members include William Lyons and Marcus Sutherland from Lake Linden-Hubbell, Steele Jondreau from Baraga, Dean Pietila from Chassell, and A.J. Datto from Dollar Bay-Tamarack City. Levi Frahm from Jeffers and Kolson Kytta from Chassell were among those who received honorable mention votes.
Ewen-Trout Creek dominated the Porcupine Mountain Division first team, with Tommy Cousineau and Eric Abramson joining Borseth. Kelsey Jilek of the Panthers joined L’Anse’s Eli Ostermeyer on the second team. Alex Kissel from L’Anse and Luke Strasser from Ontonagon were among those who received honorable mention votes.
See the full boys all-conference roster, as received from the conference, here.
Elise Besonen from Ewen-Trout Creek was named the Copper Mountain Conference girls Most Valuable Player. Steve Krahling from Dollar Bay-Tamarack City was honored as Coach of the Year. Teddy Menigoz from Ontonagon was named Defensive Player of the Year.
Besonen was joined on the Elite Team by Maija Rice from L’Anse, Rylie Koskinen and Reide Osterman from Baraga, Abbie LeGault from Ewen-Trout Creek, and Makennah Uotila from Ontonagon.
Ashley Datto from Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Maelene Warren from Chassell, and Miranda Heinonen from Jeffers rounded out the Copper Country Division first team. Second team members include Jaylyne Lindeman and Corina Jahfetson from Baraga, Trisha Pietila from Chassell, and Olivia Anderson from Jeffers. Honorable mention votes went to Maggie Gaunt from Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, and Kaci Destrampe from Lake Linden-Hubbell.
The five members of the Porcupine Mountain Division named to the Elite Team also make up the division’s first team. Local players on the second team include Uotila and Nicole Lukkari from Ontonagon, Kate Borseth from Ewen-Trout Creek, and Taylor Sanregret from L’Anse.
See the full girls roster, as received from the conference, here.
The Finlandia University baseball team plays at Wisconsin-Stevens Point this afternoon.
The Finlandia University football team has added a new recruit. Braden Ross is joining the team from Prineville, Oregon.
Michigan Tech’s Olivia Ghormley has been named the GLIAC North Division Volleyball Player of the Week for the second straight time.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Nashville Predators tonight. Coverage begins at 7:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Indiana Pacers Wednesday. We’ll join the game in progress after high school basketball on 99.3 The Lift.
In Grapefruit League play, the Detroit Tigers fell to the Toronto Blue Jays 4-3 yesterday. Starter Julio Teheran pitched two innings, and gave up a solo home run. He left the game after his back tightened up. Grayson Greiner homered for Detroit.
The Tigers face the New York Yankees today. Tarik Skubal will start for Detroit. Coverage begins at 1:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers have named Matthew Boyd as their opening day starter.
In Cactus League action, the Milwaukee Brewers defeated the Cleveland Indians 6-3 yesterday. Brandon Woodruff allowed two runs on five hits over six innings. Tyrone Taylor, Daniel Vogelbach and Avisaíl García homered.
The Brewers will play the Los Angeles Dodgers today. Corbin Burnes is scheduled to start.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.