Houghton and Hancock split their Wing Ding basketball games last night…
• In the opener, the Hancock girls used a tenacious defense to shut down Houghton 52-45. The Bulldogs got off to a quick start. The Gremlins battled back, and took a brief one-point lead midway through the third quarter, before Hancock reasserted control. Kalli Chenowyth led the Bulldogs with 17 points. Paige Sleeman had 16 for Houghton.
• In the nightcap, the Houghton boys took command early, and were never threatened in a 58-29 victory. Mikko Salmi scored 15 for the Gremlins, and Tucker Ryynanen added 14. Vanden Jacques had 15 for the Bulldogs.
The Wing Ding hockey game between Houghton and Hancock will be played this evening at Dee Stadium, with coverage beginning at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
In other girls basketball games last night…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell stuffed Chassell 51-30. Olivia Shank and Alli Corrigan each had 12 for the Lakes, and Emily Jokela added 11. Trisha Pietila had 10 for the Panthers.
• L’Anse downed Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 55-36.
• Ewen-Trout Creek lost to Ironwood 50-45.
In boys action last evening…
• Ewen-Trout Creek defeated Ironwood 69-53.
On the boys hoops schedule tonight…
• Calumet hosts West Iron County – tip-off is at 5:45 – POSTPONED TO FEBRUARY 23RD BECAUSE OF POOR WEATHER
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City welcomes L’Anse for Homecoming.
• Jeffers visits Republic-Michigamme.
• Ontonagon welcomes Wakefield-Marenisco.
In girls games tonight…
• Calumet entertains Escanaba – tip-off is at 7:15 – THIS GAME HAS BEEN POSTPONED BECAUSE OF POOR WEATHER – NO MAKE-UP DATE ANNOUNCED
• L’Anse travels to Ironwood.
In a girls-boys doubleheader…
• Baraga journeys to Watersmeet.
In other hockey games tonight…
• Jeffers faces Big Rapids at 5:00 at the Cheboygan Showcase.
In hockey tomorrow…
• Calumet entertains Notre Dame de la Baie. Coverage will begin at 3:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3. The public is invited to skate with the Copper Kings after the game.
• Jeffers meets the FNV co-op team from Freeland, Saginaw Nouvel and Saginaw Valley Lutheran at noon at the Cheboygan Showcase.
In Alpine skiing yesterday, three events were held at the Norway Invitational…
• The first consisted of both a slalom and giant slalom. The Houghton girls team placed third, behind Marquette and Norway. The Houghton boys earned an easy victory, with Reed Heathman winning both races. Eli Heathman took second in the giant, and third in the slalom.
• The second event was a slalom. Both Houghton teams finished second to Marquette, with Reed Heathman finishing first, and Eli Heathman second individually in the boys race.
• The third event was a final slalom. The Houghton girls finished third. The Houghton boys edged Marquette by a point to claim first place. Reed Heathman again placed first individually.
In high school swimming yesterday…
• Houghton at Ishpeming – no report.
Both Michigan Tech teams earned victories at Davenport University last night…
• The women fell behind early, but surged back to claim a 71-51 win. Ellie Mackay scored 25 points.
• The men used a strong second half to take an 84-72 triumph. Adam Hobson had a career-best 28 points, including eight three-pointers.
Both Tech teams will play at Grand Valley State tomorrow.
Both Finlandia basketball teams wrap up their regular seasons with games at Grace Christian tomorrow, and Great Lakes Christian on Sunday.
The Finlandia women’s team has introduced a new recruit for next season. Westwood standout Savannah Sevegney will join the Lions.
The Michigan Tech hockey team hosts Bowling Green for the Winter Carnival series this weekend. Games begin tonight at 7:07, and tomorrow at 5:07.
The Northern hockey team has the weekend off.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team will conclude its season at Concordia-Wisconsin tonight and tomorrow.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team will skate at Marian University tonight and tomorrow.
The Portage Lake Pioneers will host the Calumet Wolverines tomorrow night. Face-off is at 7:30 at Dee Stadium.
The Detroit Red Wings will host the Philadelphia Flyers Saturday afternoon. Coverage begins at 11:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons’ woes continued with a 132-107 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies last night. Jerami Grant scored 20 for Detroit.
The Pistons have lost six straight, and nine of their last 10, and host the Charlotte Hornets tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has again been named the National Football League’s Most Valuable Player. Rodgers won the award for the fourth time in his career, and the second straight season. After the ceremony, Rodgers said he has not made a decision about whether he’ll play again next season. He did thank coach Matt LeFleur and the team’s administration for improving communication following their disagreements last summer.
The Los Angeles Rams and the Cincinnati Bengals will meet in the Super Bowl Sunday night. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – Wing Ding hockey – Hancock at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tomorrow – hockey – Notre Dame de la Baie at Calumet – 3:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Monday – basketball – Calumet at Houghton girls – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Thursday – hockey – Houghton at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 the Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.