Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet shut down Marquette 3-0.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Ewen-Trout Creek 3-2.
• Jeffers swept Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0 (25-16, 26-24, 25-15).
• L’Anse defeated Chassell 3-0 (25-12, 25-14, 25-23). Brooklyn Dompier led the team with seven aces and nine kills.
• Baraga cruised past Watersmeet 3-0.
The Houghton soccer team v Marquette yesterday – no report.
Houghton dominated the Kingsford Invitational cross country meet yesterday…
• The boys claimed the top four individual positions, with Birk Seagren taking first place, followed by Ben Hemmer, Isaiah Lawson and Lane Laux.
• The girls took three of the top four individual finishes, with Tessa Rautiola first, Lily Ross third, and Roman Peterlin fourth.
See full meet results here.
The Tigers fell to the Reds 6-5 in 10 innings last night. Detroit took an early lead, scoring three runs in the first inning, with help from an Andy Ibáñez homer. Cincinnati came right back, scoring five runs off Joey Wentz, who didn’t finish the third inning. An Ibáñez double and a Kerry Carpenter single tied the game in the fifth. Alex Lange surrendered the game-winner in the top of the 10th. The Tigers threatened in the bottom of the inning, but Ibáñez was thrown out at the plate attempting to score.
The Tigers host the Reds again this evening. Eduardo Rodriguez will start against Connor Phillips. Coverage will begin at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers held the Marlins to just two hits, in a 3-1 victory last night. Willy Peralta pitched into the seventh. Josh Donaldson homered.
The Brewers entertain the Marlins again tonight. Trevor Magill will start against Braxton Garrett.
The Cubs lost, so Milwaukee’s lead in the National League Central Division stands at three-and-a-half games over Chicago.
Former Brewers general manager and president of baseball operations David Stearns will become the new president of baseball operations for the New York Mets. Stearns stepped out of his leadership role in Milwaukee at the end of last season, but remained with the team as a consultant.
An MRI yesterday confirmed what had been suspected – current Jets and former Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers tore his Achilles tendon in Monday night’s game against the Bills. He’ll miss the rest of the season.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tomorrow – Volleyball – Calumet at Hancock – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Football – Menominee at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Football – Houghton at Westwood – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Volleyball – Calumet at Ishpeming – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.