In high school hockey last night…
– Houghton defeated Hancock 6-1.
– Jeffers fell to Negaunee 4-3 in overtime. Riley Loukkala scored the game-winner for the Miners. Nolan Corwin stopped 47 shots to earn the win.
In boys basketball last evening…
– Houghton dropped a 55-54 overtime heartbreaker to West Iron County.
– Hancock lost to Negaunee 60-32.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Ontonagon 68-36.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City downed Wakefield-Marenisco 54-38. Ashton Janke scored 23 for the Blue Bolts.
– L’Anse defeated Ewen-Trout Creek 64-58.
– Baraga lost to Bessemer 67-29.
In boys play tonight, Calumet entertains Ontonagon in a game that was postponed from January 7th.
In girls hoops this evening…
– Calumet plays at Houghton.
– Jeffers tips off at Chassell.
– Baraga travels to Ontonagon.
– Ewen-Trout Creek visits Wakefield-Marenisco.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell. Our broadcast will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school swimming today, Houghton entertains Westwood.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball team couldn’t overcome a cold start, and lost to Wisconsin-Superior 83-66 last night. The Lions scored just 19 points in the first half. Harley Froberg led Finlandia with 21.
The Finlandia men’s team lost 88-64 to the Yellowjackets. Dylan Underwood scored 21 for the Lions.
The Detroit Pistons’ woes continued with a 100-94 loss to the Utah Jazz last night. Blake Griffin led Detroit with 19 points. Guard Ish Smith returned to the lineup after missing 19 games with a torn thigh muscle. The Pistons return home to host the Orlando Magic tomorrow. Pregame coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Anaheim Ducks tonight. Pregame coverage begins at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers are hiring Nathaniel Hackett as their new offensive coordinator. Hackett shone as the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator two years ago, but was fired this past season, as quarterback Blake Bortles struggled.
Former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell appears to be headed to the Miami Dolphins. His potential role there hasn’t been defined, but will probably be some kind of senior advisory position. Miami is expected to name New England linebackers coach Brian Flores as its new head coach, but can’t make it official as long as the Patriots are still in the playoffs.
Matt Shepard will be the new television play-by-play voice of the Detroit Tigers. Shepard has been with Fox Sports Detroit for 20 years. He filled the Tigers’ job last September after Mario Impemba and Rod Allen were fired following a physical altercation. Shepard also calls University of Michigan basketball and Eastern Michigan University football on the radio. He grew up in suburban Detroit, and graduated from Central Michigan University. Former Tigers Kirk Gibson and Jack Morris will split time as color analysts.
The Milwaukee Brewers have confirmed that free-agent catcher Yasmani Grandal has passed a physical, and will join the team with a one-year, 18-million dollar deal.
Our Finlandia University hockey coverage resumes Saturday afternoon, when the women’s team entertains Adrian College. The pregame show will start at 2:55 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.