In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton downed Grandville 5-1. Oscar Peterson gave the Gremlins an early lead, and Mike Maillette and Camden Markham each scored twice. Kade Farrell had two assists. Bryant Lee made 23 saves.
In hockey today…
• Calumet visits Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 2:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Hancock hosts Grandville in a 2:15 contest.
• Jeffers faces Gaylord in a game that will be played at Marquette.
In boys basketball last evening…
• L’Anse lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 81-34.
In girls basketball last night…
• Calumet smothered Gwinn 72-20. Marybeth Halonen led the Copper Kings with 16 points. Jana Loukus added 15, and Caitlyn Strom chipped in 12. Lena Pleaugh scored 12 for the Modeltowners.
• Hancock overpowered Iron Mountain 55-25.
• L’Anse downed Wakefield-Marenisco 53-31.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost at Ironwood 63-44.
• Baraga outscored Ontonagon 40-28.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell game at Bessemer was postponed.
In boys play today…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Ontonagon, in a game that was rescheduled from Monday. The JV contest will start at 1:00, with the varsity around 2:30. LATE NOTE – THIS GAME HAS BEEN POSTPONED BECAUSE OF BAD WEATHER – NO MAKE-UP DATE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will host Davenport University this afternoon. The women’s game will tip off at noon, and the men’s at 2:00.
Both Northern Michigan University teams will host Grand Valley State today.
Both Finlandia basketball teams will play at Maranatha Baptist today. The women’s team will visit Mount Mary tomorrow.
Both of this weekend’s Michigan Tech hockey games against Northern Michigan University have been postponed because of COVID-19 issues with the Wildcats. No make-up dates have been announced.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team took an early lead, but fell to Adrian College 7-1 yesterday afternoon. India Charles found the net just 19 seconds into the game, but the Bulldogs dominated the remainder, outshooting the Lions 54-7. Those teams meet again today at the Houghton County Arena, with faceoff at 11:30.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team skates at Lawrence University tomorrow and Sunday.
The Detroit Red Wings fell to the Dallas Stars 5-4 in overtime last night. Dallas’ Jason Robertson’s goal with 63 seconds remaining in regulation forced the extra period, and Roope Hintz netted the game winner three minutes into overtime. Alex Nedelkjovic made 27 saves.
The Wings visit the Nashville Predators tonight. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 7:15 on KBear 102.3.
Former Red Wing Justin Abdelkader is attempting a comeback. Abdelkader has signed a professional tryout contract with Detroit’s Grand Rapids Griffins minor league affiliate. He played with the Swiss EV Zug team last season, and helped them win a league title.
The Detroit Pistons fell 111-101 to the Utah Jazz this evening. Cade Cunningham scored 25 for Detroit.
The Pistons visit the Denver Nuggets tomorrow night.
In the Divisional round of the NFL playoffs this weekend…
• Today, the Cincinnati Bengals visit the Tennessee Titans for a 4:30 game, and the Green Bay Packers entertain the San Francisco 49ers in an 8:15 contest.
• Tomorrow, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers host the Los Angeles Rams in a 3:00 game, and the Buffalo Bills visit the Kansas City Chiefs for a 6:30 matchup.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl, on 99.3 The Lift.
The Packers have activated linebackers Whitney Mercilus and Za’Darius Smith off injured reserve.
The CopperDog 150 will offer free dogsled rides to kids today between 12:00 and 2:00 at Agassiz Park. The annual CopperDog 150 spaghetti dinner fundraiser will take place between 1:00 and 5:00 at the Calumet Elks Lodge. Volunteer sign-up for the race is now open. If you’d like to help, visit the volunteers page at CopperDog150.com, see the available opportunities, and sign up online.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – hockey – Calumet at Escanaba – 2:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Monday – girls basketball – Marquette at Calumet – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – hockey – Negaunee at Calumet – 5:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Thursday – boys basketball – Calumet at Houghton – 7:00 pregame on 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.