In high school hockey yesterday…
– Hancock defeated Bay Port 5-1.
– Houghton lost to Birmingham Brother Rice 5-3
– Jeffers v Rhinelander in the opening round at the Merrill Tournament Last evening – no report. The Jets will face either Merrill or Medford today.
In other hockey games today…
– Calumet hosts Birmingham Brother Rice. Our broadcast will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton entertains Bay Port at 1:00.
In high school boys basketball last evening…
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City defeated Houghton 71-60. Connor LeClaire led the Blue Bolts with 23 points. Houghton’s Pablo Salgado led all scorers with 24.
In girls hoops last night…
– Hancock smothered Jeffers 61-18.
– Houghton lost to Westwood 67-33. Stella Wickstrom scored 10 for the Gremlins.
– Chassell got past Wakefield-Marenisco 56-40. Paige Sleeman scored 27 for the Panthers.
– Baraga shut down Bessemer 71-17. Reide Osterman led a balanced Vikings attack with 17 points.
– Ewen-Trout Creek defeated Ontonagon 44-33. Congratulations to the Panthers’ Elise Besonen, who passed the 1,000 career point mark.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team lost 4-1 at Bemidji State University last night. Alec Broetzman scored the Huskies’ only goal with 64 seconds remaining. Those teams skate again tonight in Bemidji.
The Northern Michigan University hockey squad skated to a 2-2 tie at top-ranked Cornell last night. Those teams face off again this evening in Ithaca.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will host Ferris State University today. The women’s game will begin at 1:00, and the men’s contest at 3:00.
Both Northern Michigan University squads will entertain Lake Superior State today.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team dropped a 3-2 overtime heartbreaker to Trine University last night. Dylan Paavola and Tyler Vanuden scored for the Lions. Marcus Gloss made 28 saves. Those teams skate again this afternoon at 4:00 at the Houghton County Arena.
The Lions women’s hockey team lost 8-1 at Lake Forest last night. India Charles scored the only FinnU goal. The Lions were outshot 85-19. Annah Smiddy stopped 62 of the 65 shots she faced over the first two periods. Sarah Gundry gave up five goals on 20 shots in the third period.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Calumet Wolverines outskated the Marquette Mutineers 8-6 last night.
Sidney Crosby’s goal in overtime gave the Pittsburgh Penguins a 2-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings last evening. Filip Zadina scored for Detroit. Jimmy Howard stopped 35 shots.
The Wings host the Florida Panthers tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Atlanta Hawks this evening.
In the NFL conference championship games tomorrow…
– The Kansas City Chiefs host the Tennessee Titans at 3:05.
– The Green Bay Packers visit the San Francisco 49ers at 6:40.
Hear both conference title games and the Super Bowl on 99.3 The Lift.
Copper Country native Todd Storm has joined the Washington Redskins’ coaching staff. Storm was a standout player for Calumet High School and Michigan Tech. He was on the Panthers’ coaching staff the past two years, and is one of several of former head coach Ron Rivera’s Carolina assistants who will be joining Rivera in Washington.
The Detroit Tigers have added some depth at the catching position, trading pitcher Matt Hall to the Boston Red Sox for Jhon Nunez. Hall had recently been designated for assignment. Nunez was an all-star in the Double-A Eastern League last summer.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.