In high school hockey last evening…
– Houghton outscored Negaunee 6-2. The Miners had just 12 players available, but hung tough through much of the game. Carson Stevens’ first period goal gave the Gremlins an early lead. Ty Halonen and Tucker Tapani added goals in the second period to put Houghton up 3-1. Camden Markham, Brandon Trudeau and Tucker Tapani put the game away in the final period, as the Gremlins outshot the Miners 63-10.
– Hancock outshot Kingsford 42-28, but lost the game 5-2.
In high school girls basketball last night…
– L’Anse downed Hancock 43-34. Maija Rice scored 19 for the Purple Hornets, and Addison Mattson chipped in 14. Kaisa Salani led the Bulldogs with 11, and Taylor Sebbas added 10 points.
– Houghton defeated Jeffers 64-52.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell got past Bessemer 25-17. Jamie Hendrickson led the Lakes with nine points.
– Chassell stopped Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 59-26.
– Baraga shut down Republic-Michigamme 78-18.
– Ewen-Trout Creek cruised past Wakefield-Marenisco 66-31.
In boys hoops tonight, Houghton entertains Gwinn.
The Finlandia University men’s basketball team will entertain Wisconsin-Superior tonight. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Finlandia players swept the American Collegiate Athletic Association basketball Players of the Week honors. Katie Lundeen won the honor for the third time, after scoring 42 point in the Lions’ victories over Great Lakes Christian and Holy Family. Dylan Underwood won his fifth award this season – and sixth of his career – by scoring 51 points in FinnU’s losses to Gogebic Community College and Holy Family.
The Detroit Red Wings lost to the New York Islanders 8-2 last night. The Isles took command early, with three goals in the first eight minutes off Jimmy Howard. Calvin Pickard replaced him. Filip Hronek and Givani Smith scored for Detroit. Smith’s goal was his first in the NHL.
The Wings host the Pittsburgh Penguins Friday. Because of Finlandia University hockey on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 7:10 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Boston Celtics this evening. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Our high school hockey coverage continues tomorrow night, when Hancock hosts Negaunee. The pregame show will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.