Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton buried Grandville 8-2. Landon Stevens had a hat trick and two assists. Camden Markham had two goals and two assists. Mike Maillette and Sully Rajala each had a goal and an assist, and Oscar Peterson scored a goal. Andrew Lampinen made 11 saves to earn the win, as the Gremlins outshot the Bulldogs 45-13, and improve their record to 18-0.
• Calumet downed Salem 4-2.
• Jeffers blanked Gaylord 2-0.
In hockey today…
• Houghton welcomes Salem. Coverage begins at 1:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet entertains Escanaba. Coverage starts at 3:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Hancock hosts Grandville at 1:00.
In boys basketball last night…
• Houghton stopped Ironwood 58-45.
• Jeffers outscored Escanaba 74-71. Levi Frahm led the Jets with 29 points. Ashton Kunishige and Tavin Larson each scored 16, and Matthew Schutz added 13. Shane Wallin led the Eskymoes with 24.
• L’Anse lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 84-34.
• Ontonagon defeated Baraga 63-54.
In girls action last evening…
• Calumet overpowered Gwinn 56-26.
• Hancock downed Iron Mountain 63-48.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell turned back Watersmeet 68-49.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost a 39-38 heartbreaker to Ironwood.
• L’Anse got past Wakefield-Marenisco 44-37.
• Baraga slipped past Ontonagon 54-48.
The 14th-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team blanked Ferris State 1-0 last night. Kyle Kukkonen scored the game’s only goal late in the first period. Blake Pietila turned in his sixth shutout of the season, and extended his Huskies’ career shutout record to 16. Those teams skate in Big Rapids again tonight.
The Northern Michigan hockey team lost 4-0 at Bemidji State last night. Those teams play again tonight.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team fell 3-0 to Lawrence University last night. Those teams face off again today at 4:00 at the Houghton County Arena.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team lost 19-0 at Adrian last night. The Lions were outshot 106-5. Those teams play again this afternoon.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams entertain Grand Valley State this afternoon – the women at 1:00, and the men at 3:00.
Both NMU teams welcome Davenport today.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball team shut down Maranatha Baptist 106-35 last night. Natalie Bartle scored 30 for the Lions, and Ellie Djerf added 29. The Lions host Mount Mary today at noon.
The Finlandia men’s team has the weekend off.
The Finlandia University volleyball team has introduced a new recruit. Kiersten Veenstra is an honor roll student from Vicksburg High School.
The Calumet Wolverines visit the Marquette Mutineers tonight.
The Portage Lake Pioneers have the weekend off.
The Red Wings host the Flyers this evening. Because of NFL football, coverage will begin at 6:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Pistons entertain the Bucks Monday night. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Divisional playoff games will be played this weekend.
• The Chiefs host the Jaguars in a 4:30 contest.
• The Giants visit the Eagles for an 8:15 game.
• The Bills welcome the Bengals in a 3:00 matchup.
• The Cowboys visit the 49ers for a 6:30 tilt.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Today – Houghton hockey entertains Salem. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Today – Calumet hockey welcomes Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 3:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tuesday – Calumet hockey skates at Negaunee. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Finlandia women’s basketball hosts Wisconsin-Superior. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
- Thursday – Houghton boys basketball plays at Calumet. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.