In high school volleyball last night…
• Houghton swept Ishpeming 3-0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-21).
• Hancock lost to Iron Mountain 3-2.
• Jeffers got past Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-2 (24-26, 25-22, 24-26, 25-15, 15-11). For the Jets, Hanna Larson had 10 aces. Savannah Asiala and Allie Pietila each had seven kills. Abi Codere had seven kills for the Lakes, and Brooke Banfield had 19 digs.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City blanked Watersmeet 3-0.
• L’Anse lost to West Iron County 3-0.
• Baraga defeated Bessemer 3-0.
• Ewen-Trout Creek fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0.
• Ontonagon lost to Ironwood 3-0 (19-25, 14-25, 20-25).
In volleyball tonight…
• Baraga plays at Chassell.
In volleyball tomorrow…
• Calumet plays at Marquette.
The regular high school football season concludes tonight.
• Calumet welcomes L’Anse. Calumet’s playoff position is secure, but the Copper Kings could improve their seeding with a victory. The Purple Hornets have an outside chance at making the playoffs, if they win and get some help. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton travels to Gwinn. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock’s game against West Iron County has been called off, because the Wykons discontinued their season.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Ontonagon. Each team needs a win to secure a playoff position, although the Lakes will probably make it either way. Lake Linden would improve its seeding with a win. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The U.P. Cross Country championships will be run tomorrow at Gentz’s Homestead Golf Course in Marquette.
Hancock defeated Houghton 49-37 yesterday, to take the title in the 39th Annual Dennis Massoglia Memorial 8th Grade Girls Basketball Tournament. Emery Chynoweth led Hancock with 14 points, while Macy Jurgenen added 13. Lexi Burns led Houghton with 13 points, and Kiara Markham had eight.
The Michigan Tech football team entertains third-ranked Ferris State tomorrow at 1:00.
The Northern Michigan University football team hosts Grand Valley State tomorrow.
The Finlandia University football team plays at Crown College tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech hockey team has the weekend off. The Huskies will host an intrasquad scrimmage tomorrow at 4:30 at Dee Stadium. There is no charge to attend, and you can skate with the Huskies afterward.
The Northern hockey team hosts Bemidji State tonight and tomorrow night.
The Tech volleyball team plays at Wisconsin-Parkside tonight, and Purdue Northwest tomorrow.
The Finlandia volleyball squad has canceled all of its remaining games, including those scheduled at the Mount Mary Classic this weekend. No explanation has been offered.
The Tech soccer team plays at top-ranked Grand Valley State this afternoon, and visits ninth-ranked Ferris State on Sunday.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team hosts Viterbo University tomorrow at noon, and Wisconsin-Platteville Sunday at 2:30. Coverage of Sunday’s game will begin at 2:10 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Red Wings lost to the Calgary Flames 3-0 last night. Alex Nedeljkovic took the loss in net.
The Wings visit the Montreal Canadiens tomorrow night. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Chicago Bulls tomorrow night.
Chris Taylor hit three home runs, as the Los Angeles Dodgers clubbed the Atlanta Braves 11-2 last night. The Braves lead the National League Championship Series 3-2, with game six set for tomorrow in Atlanta.
The American League Championship Series resumes tonight, as the Houston Astros host the Boston Red Sox. Houston leads the series 3-2.
In last night’s NFL contest, the Cleveland Browns held off the Denver Broncos 17-14.
• The Green Bay Packers host the Washington Football Team for a 1:00 game.
• The Detroit Lions visit Matthew Stafford and the Los Angeles Rams for a 4:05 contest. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – Houghton at Gwinn football – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tonight – L’Anse at Calumet football – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tonight – Lake Linden-Hubbell at Ontonagon – 6:40 pregame on 99.3 The Lift.
• Sunday – Wisconsin-Platteville at Finlandia women’s soccer – 2:10 pregame on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.