Click on the highlighted scores for additional details.
In high school football last night…
• Houghton improved to 2-0 with a 44-8 victory over L’Anse. Gab Carlson caught touchdown passes of 68 and 15 yards, and ran 29 yards for a score. Kyle Primeau ran for two touchdowns.
• Calumet lost to Negaunee 40-15. The Miners led 19-0 at halftime. The Copper Kings got on the board midway through the third quarter with a 56-yard Brayden Nelson touchdown run, but two quick Negaunee scores put the game away. Calumet’s final touchdown came in the closing minutes.
• Ishpeming pounded Hancock 52-0.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell blasted North Dickinson 75-6 to improve to 2-0.
• Ontonagon plays at Stephenson.
In high school volleyball yesterday…
• Ewen-Trout Creek blanked Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0 (25-17, 26-24, 25-13).
• Jeffers stifled Ontonagon 3-0 (25-19, 25-13, 25-13). Hanna Larson led the Jets with five aces and Kaeda Rajala had three blocks.
• Baraga fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0.
• L’Anse got past Westwood 3-2 (25-15, 16-25, 20-25, 25-22, 15-13).
At the Dale Phillips cross country meet at Marquette yesterday…
• The Houghton boys finished second to Marquette. The Redmen claimed five of the top six positions. Birk Seagren led the Gremlins with a ninth-place finish.
• The Houghton girls also placed second behind Marquette. Hancock finished third. Tessa Rautiola of the Gremlins placed second individually, and Lily Ross came in fourth. Maylie Kilpela led the Bulldogs with a 13th-place finish.
• See full results here.
The Houghton soccer team fell to Kingsford 4-2.
Both Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan began their football seasons last night…
• Darius Willis caught two touchdown passes as the Huskies outscored Wisconsin-Platteville 23-13.
• The Wildcats dropped a 31-24 overtime thriller to McKendree University.
Finlandia University kicks off its football season tomorrow night at home against Benedictine. Because of Tigers baseball on 99.3 the Lift, Finlandia coverage will begin at 5:40 on KBear 102.3.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team fell to Wisconsin-River Falls 3-0 yesterday. The Lions will host Buena Vista tomorrow morning at 10 – hear the broadcast on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift. Finlandia will entertain Lakeland Sunday afternoon at 3.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team will host Buena Vista tomorrow at noon, and Lakeland Sunday at 1. Hear the Sunday game on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Tech volleyball team plays at the Parkside Tournament in Kenosha this weekend. They’ll face Upper Iowa this afternoon, McKendree this evening, and Illinois-Springfield and Minnesota-Crookston tomorrow.
The Finlandia volleyball team opens its campaign at the Wisconsin Blast this weekend. They’ll play Beloit this afternoon and Rockford this evening in Beloit, then play Wisconsin-Whitewater and Loras in Whitewater tomorrow.
The Tigers lost to the Mariners 7-0 yesterday. Eduardo Rodriguez gave up six runs over four innings. Detroit batters collected just four singles.
The Tigers entertain the Royals this evening. Drew Hutchison will start against Daniel Lynch. Coverage begins at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers also managed just four hits in a 5-0 loss to the Diamondbacks last night. Brandon Woodruff pitched into the sixth, and was charged with all five Arizona runs.
The Brewers visit the Diamondbacks again tonight. Eric Lauer will start against Zach Davies.
Christian Yelich left last night’s game with neck discomfort. He’s considered day-to-day.
Jermar Jackson is back with the Lions. The running back cleared waivers, and was signed to the practice squad yesterday. Former backup quarterback David Blough is gone – he’s signed on with the Vikings’ practice squad.
Our high school football coverage continues a week from tonight. Calumet hosts Westwood – pregame coverage starts at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3. Houghton plays at Iron Mountain – pregame coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.