In high school cross country yesterday, the Houghton boys and girls both earned victories at the Calumet Invitational.
• On the boys side, the Gremlins claimed five of the top 10 positions, with Eric Weiss first, Brandon Peterson fourth, and Davin Evans fifth. Ishpeming placed second in the team standings, followed by Negaunee and Westwood.
• On the girls side, the Gremlins took four of the top 10 slots, with Ingrid Seagren second, and Paige Sleeman third. Westwood finished second in the team competition, followed by Negaunee, Ishpeming, Calumet and West Iron County.
See full results here.
In volleyball tonight…
• Calumet plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• Hancock welcomes West Iron County.
• Chassell entertains Ewen-Trout Creek.
• Ontonagon visits Wakefield-Marenisco.
• The Jeffers match at Baraga has been canceled – no make-up date has been set.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and start a set at Minnesota tonight. Tarik Skubal will pitch for Detroit. The Twins have not confirmed a starter. Coverage begins at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers’ playoff hopes took a hit last night, with a 6-3 loss to the Cincinnati Reds. Brandon Woodruff turned in a good start, tossing five shutout innings, and leaving as the Reds scored twice in the sixth. Cincy added four more in the eighth off Drew Rasmussen. Jedd Gyorko and Jace Peterson homered for Milwaukee.
The Brewers play at Cincinnati again tonight. Brett Anderson will start against Sonny Gray.
In the Stanley Cup championship series, the Lightning edged the Stars 3-2 last night, to tie the set at a win per team. Game three will be played tomorrow night.
The Lakers face the Nuggets as the Western Conference final continues this evening. L-A leads that series 2-0.
The Eastern Conference final between the Celtics and the Heat resumes tomorrow night, with Miami leading that series 2-1.
In last night’s game, the Raiders outscored the Saints 34-24. If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 15 games correctly to be eligible to be our weekly winner.
Our high school football coverage continues Friday. Calumet welcomes Gwinn on KBear 102.3. Houghton entertains Norway on 97.7 The Wolf. L’Anse hosts West Iron County – streamed coverage from WFER 97.9 will be available on the sports page at KBear102.com. On Saturday, Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Superior Central. Coverage will begin at 11:40 on KBear 102.3.