In high school volleyball last night…
– Houghton lost the first two sets, but came back to defeat Negaunee 3-2.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell v Wakefield-Marenisco – no report.
– L’Anse swept Baraga 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-20). Alayna Waara had seven kills and Brynn VanBuren had 20 assists for the Hornets.
– Ewen-Trout Creek v Watersmeet – no report.
In volleyball tomorrow…
– Calumet plays at the Duluth Invitational.
– Houghton competes at the Pulaski Invitational.
– L’Anse plays at the Forest Park Invitational.
Houghton swept the team titles at the Dollar Bay/Chassell cross country meet yesterday at the Chassell Trails.
– On the girls side, Hancock finished second, followed by Chassell, Calumet and Gogebic. Ingrid Seagren and Maria Velat of the Gremlins placed first and second individually, with Maylie Kilpela of the Bulldogs third.
– On the boys side, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City finished a distant second, followed by Jeffers, Chassell, Calumet and Gogebic. Gogebic’s Adam Mazurek finished first individually, followed by Nik Thomas of Ewen-Trout Creek. Brandon Peterson and Jake Sullivan of the Gremlins placed third and fourth.
– See full results here.
In high school football tonight…
– Hancock plays at Gwinn. Our coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet entertains West Iron County in the Hall of Fame Game. New members of the Hall will be introduced tonight, and inducted tomorrow morning at 11:00 at the school commons. Meet the new Hall of Fame members here. Hear streamed coverage of tonight’s game here.
– L’Anse travels to Munising.
– Ontonagon entertains North Central.
Tomorrow, Houghton plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell. It’s Hall of Fame Day for the Lakes. The newest class will be inducted at a reception tomorrow morning at 9:30 at the school, and will also be honored at halftime of the game. Learn about the third Hall of Fame class here.
The Finlandia University volleyball team plays at the Carthage Classic in Wisconsin this weekend. The Lions open against Rose-Hulman tonight, then play Carthage and Concordia-Wisconsin tomorrow.
The Lions women’s soccer team hosts Lawrence tomorrow morning at 9:00.
The Finlandia football team entertains Concordia-Chicago tomorrow afternoon. Pregame coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team plays at Davenport University tonight, and Grand Valley tomorrow.
The MTU football team begins its Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference campaign tomorrow at Saginaw Valley State.
The Northern Michigan University football team entertains Davenport tomorrow.
The Tech soccer team is off this weekend.
The Detroit Tigers collected nine hits, but no runs, in a 7-0 loss to the Cleveland Indians last night. Danile Norris gave up a run over his three scheduled innings. Drew VerHagen struggled in relief, allowing six runs in less than two frames.
The Tigers host the Chicago White Sox tonight. Daniel Norris will pitch against Mike Clevinger. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Lorenzo Cain homered, as the Milwaukee Brewers defeated the San Diego Padres 5-1 yesterday.
The Brewers entertain the Pittsburgh Pirates tonight. Chase Anderson will start against Steven Brault.
The Cardinals defeated the Cubs, so Milwaukee remains three games behind Saint Louis in the National League Central Division. The Cubs are four games out. The Brewers lead Chicago by one game in the race for the final wild card playoff berth.
The Detroit Red Wings continue their preseason schedule tonight at home against the New York Islanders. Hear Red Wings games again this season on 99.3 The Lift.
In last night’s NFL game, the Jacksonville Jaguars defeated the Tennessee Titans 20-7.
The Green Bay Packers host the Denver Broncos in a 1:00 game on Sunday. The Detroit Lions visit the Philadelphia Eagles for a 1:00 game. Lions pregame coverage will begin at 11:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.