In high school volleyball last night…
• Chassell lost to Ironwood 3-0 (5-25, 18-25, 8-25).
In high school volleyball tonight…
• Calumet hosts Negaunee. Coverage will begin at 6:10 or later on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton hosts Iron Mountain.
• Hancock entertains Westwood.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City and Watersmeet play in a triangular at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• L’Anse visits Jeffers.
• Ontonagon plays at Ewen-Trout Creek.
• Chassell hosts Bessemer.
Houghton swept the team honors at the West Iron County Cross Country Invitational yesterday…
• The boys claimed five of the top seven positions, and easily outdistanced Negaunee. Ironwood was third, followed by Westwood and Calumet. Eric Weiss took individual honors, with Cyrus Hamlin second.
• The girls slipped past Negaunee by two points, with Hancock third, Calumet fourth, and Westwood and Ironwood rounding out the field. Ishpeming’s Lola Korpi earned individual honors, with Ingrid Seagren of the Gremlins second.
• See full results here.
Michigan Tech kicker Drew Wyble has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Special Teams Player of the week. Wyble booted three field goals in the Huskies’ victory over Wayne State Saturday, including the game winner in the closing seconds. He also averaged 46 yards on four punts.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team will host a fundraiser October 30th at 7:00 at the Bonfire Steakhouse. Enjoy dinner with Huskies players and coaches. There will be a number of raffles, a silent auction, and a preview of the upcoming season. Proceeds will help fund the team’s trip to Greece next August. Tickets must be purchased by October 23rd, and are available from any player or coach, or online.
Finlandia University’s Mohamed Koroma has been named the Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. Koroma scored two goals in the Lions’ victory over North Central, and had a goal and an assist in their win over Buena Vista.
The Detroit Pistons lost to the Memphis Grizzlies 127-92 in a preseason game last night. Jerami Grant and Hamidou Diallo each scored 13 for Detroit.
The Pistons visit the New York Knicks for a preseason contest tomorrow. Listen for selected regular-season Pistons games on 99.3 The Lift.
In the National League Divisional Series yesterday…
• The Atlanta Braves blanked the Milwaukee Brewers 3-0. Joc Peterson’s three-run homer off Adrian Houser provided the game’s only scoring. The Braves lead the series 2-1, with game four set for late this afternoon in Atlanta.
• The San Francisco Giants edged the Los Angeles Dodgers 1-0. San Francisco leads that set 2-1, with game four tonight in L-A.
In the American League Divisional Series yesterday…
• The Boston Red Sox advanced with a 6-5 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays. Enrique Hernández’ sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth plated the game-winner. Boston takes the series 3-1.
• The Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros were rained out. That game will be made up this afternoon in Chicago. The Astros lead the series 2-1.
The Detroit Red Wings made their final roster cuts yesterday, in advance of Thursday’s opener against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Among the highlights – 19-year-old Lucas Raymond made the team, but prospect Joe Veleno was assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins. Riley Barber and Taro Hirose were also assigned to the Griffins after they cleared waivers. Veteran Bobby Ryan was released.
In NFL action last night…
• The Baltimore Ravens came from 22 points down, and defeated the Indianapolis Colts 31-25 in overtime. Lamar Jackson’s four-yard pass to Mark Andrews with 39 seconds remaining in regulation forced the extra period, and his five-yard toss to Marquise Brown was the game-winner.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 13 games correctly to become eligible to be this week’s winner.
The Detroit Lions confirmed yesterday that receiver Quintez Cephus broke his collarbone in Sunday’s loss to the Minnesota Vikings. He could miss the rest of the season.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Calumet volleyball hosts Negaunee tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:10 or later on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Calumet football welcomes Hancock Friday. Coverage starts at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton football plays at Negaunee Friday. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Forest Park Saturday. Coverage will start at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
• Finlandia University hosts Martin Luther University Saturday. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.