In high school volleyball last night…
– Houghton defeated Hancock in the annual Copper Spike game. The score was not reported.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell defeated Jeffers 3-1 (18-25, 25-9, 25-15, 25-16).
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City v Watersmeet – no report.
– L’Anse lost to West Iron County 3-1 (16-25, 25-23, 11-25, 19-25). Addison Mattson had 10 kills and 24 digs for the Purple Hornets, and Brynn Vanburen had 21 assists.
– Baraga v Bessemer – no report.
– Ewen-Trout Creek v Wakefield-Marenisco – no report.
Calumet plays at the Brighton Invitational tomorrow.
In high school football tonight…
– Calumet entertains L’Anse. Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton plays at Hancock. Our annual Copper Bowl broadcast will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
– Ontonagon travels to Forest Park.
Tomorrow, Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Manistique. A win by the Lakes would guarantee them a playoff berth. Our broadcast will begin at 1:10 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Lake Linden-Hubbell and Calumet won the titles at the Dennis Massoglia Memorial Eighth Grade Girls Basketball Tournament last night in Calumet.
– The Lakes defeated Jeffers 33-30 in the Division 2 championship game. Taylor Clements scored 12 for Lake Linden, and Taylor Heinonen had 15 points for the Jets.
– The Copper Kings completed an undefeated season with a 37-32 win over Baraga. Gabby Anderson led the Copper Kings with 12 points, and Jaycee Larson scored 14 for the Vikings.
The Finlandia University volleyball team wraps up its season at the Mount Mary Invitational this weekend. The Lions will face Holy Family College and Dayspring Bible College today… and the host team and Robert Morris University-Chicago tomorrow.
The Finlandia football team plays at Trine University tomorrow.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team concludes its regular season at Mount Mary Sunday.
The Michigan Tech hockey team skates at Bowling Green tonight and tomorrow night.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team plays at Ferris State tonight and tomorrow night.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team suffered a 54-41 exhibition loss at Division One Wisconsin-Green Bay last night. Baillie McGirk led the Huskies with 11 points.
The Huskies have been picked to win the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division title this year. The coaches’ poll released yesterday put Northern Michigan close behind in second place. Grand Valley was projected as the South Division winner. Abbie Botz and Cassidy Trotter of the Huskies were named to the Preseason All-Conference Team, along with Lexi Smith and Jessica Schultz of the Wildcats.
The MTU volleyball team plays at Wisconsin-Parkside tonight, and Purdue Northwest tomorrow.
The MTU soccer team entertains Ashland tonight and Saginaw Valley State on Sunday.
The Tech football team plays at Ashland tomorrow afternoon.
The NMU football squad has the weekend off.
The Portage Lake Pioneers and Calumet Wolverines will compete in the new Superior Cup tournament hosted by the Marquette Mutineers this weekend at Lakeview Arena. Tonight, the Pioneers will face the Mutineers at 7:00, and the Wolverines will take on the Mosinee Papermakers at 9:00. The championship and consolation matches will be played tomorrow night.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Buffalo Sabres tonight. Pregame coverage begins at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons lost their home opener 117-100 to the Atlanta Hawks last night. Derrick Rose led Detroit with 27 points.
The Pistons will host the Philadelphia 76ers tomorrow. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 the Lift.
The World Series continues tonight, as the National host the Astros. Washington leads Houston two games to none. This will be the first World Series game played in the nation’s capital since 1933.
The Detroit Tigers have cleared space on their 40-man roster for some of their prospects. Catcher John Hicks, and pitchers Blaine Hardy, Daniel Stumpf and Victor Alcántara cleared waivers after being designated for assignment, and are now free agents.
Outfielder Dustin Peterson, and pitchers Nick Ramirez, Zac Reininger and Eduardo Jimenez were outrighted to Toledo. They will become minor league free agents.
In last night’s NFL contest, Minnesota defeated the Washington 19-9.
The Detroit Lions entertain the New York Giants in a 1:00 game on Sunday. The Green Bay Packers visit the Kansas City Chiefs in the Sunday night contest. We’ll broadcast both games on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.