In high school volleyball last night…
• Houghton edged Hancock 3-1 (24-26, 25-23, 25-19, 26-24) in the Copper Spike Match.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell lost to Ontonagon 3-0 (25-16, 25-7, 25-11).
• Jeffers blanked L’Anse 3-0 (25-20, 25-23, 25-9). Reana Kangas led the Jets with seven kills and Allie Pietila had four blocks.
• The Chassell-Ironwood match was canceled.
In volleyball tonight…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City plays at Baraga.
In volleyball tomorrow…
• Calumet competes at the Duluth Invitational.
In cross country, Houghton swept the Dollar Bay/Chassell Invitational yesterday.
• On the girls side, Ingrid Seagren and Claire Filpus of the Gremlins placed first and second. Hancock finished second in the team standings, with Sierrah Driscoll placing fifth.
• On the boys side, Eric Weiss of the Gremlins took individual honors. Ewen-Trout Creek’s Jonah Nordine was second. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City runners Nik Thomas and Amos Norland placed third and fourth, as the Blue Bolts earned second place in the team competition
Official team totals were not provided, but individual scores can be seen here.
In high school football tonight…
• Hancock plays at Houghton in the annual Copper Bowl game. The Gremlins Boosters will host a pregame tailgate party beginning at 5:00. All fans are invited. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet travels to Gwinn. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• L’Anse plays at West Iron County.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits North Dickinson. Keweenaw Report Sports coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
• Ontonagon will entertain Carney-Nadeau.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team plays at Lake Superior State tonight, and Northwood University tomorrow.
The Finlandia University volleyball team travels to Olivet College for a triangular against the host Comets and Alma College tomorrow.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team visits Wisconsin-River Falls tomorrow, and Macalester College on Sunday.
The Finlandia men’s team is off this weekend.
Tech soccer plays at Saginaw Valley State on Sunday.
The Michigan Tech football team hosts ninth-rated Grand Valley State tomorrow at 1:00.
Northern Michigan plays at Northwood tomorrow.
The Finlandia University football team entertains Adrian College tomorrow at noon. Pregame coverage begins at 11:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and host the Kansas City Royals tonight. Casey Mize will start against Carlos Hernández. Because of high school football coverage, there will be no Tigers broadcast this evening.
The Chicago White Sox clinched the American League Central Division title by defeating the Cleveland Indians 7-2 in the first game of a doubleheader yesterday.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost their fifth straight game yesterday, falling to the Saint Louis Cardinals 8-5. The Crew got off to a quick start, scoring four runs in the first inning on Tyrone Taylor’s grand slam. Taylor homered again in the fourth inning. Saint Louis broke through with one in the fifth, tied the game with four runs off Jake Cousins and Brad Boxburger in the seventh, and closed out the win with three runs off Aaron Ashby over the final two innings.
The Brewers entertain the New York Mets tonight. Eric Lauer will start against Tylor Megill.
Milwaukee’s magic number for clinching the National League Central Division title remains at any combination of three Brewers wins or Cardinals losses.
The Carolina Panthers shut down the Houston Texans 24-9 in last night’s NFL contest.
The Detroit Lions host the Baltimore Ravens in a 1:00 game Sunday. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers visit the San Francisco 49ers in the Sunday night game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton football team hosts Hancock in the Copper Bowl game tonight. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Calumet football team plays at Gwinn tonight. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Dickinson tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.