Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
On the opening night of the high school football season…
• Houghton fell to Iron Mountain 56-6. The Mountaineers scored seven touchdowns in the first half. The Gremlins’ only score came late in the game, after a drive led by Jay Halonen.
• Hancock pounded L’Anse 56-14.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell built an 18-point halftime lead, and outscored Norway 56-36.
• Ontonagon got past Gogebic 46-36.
Calumet begins its season tonight at Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
In volleyball today…
• Calumet plays at the Cadillac Invitational.
• The Copper Mountain Conference pre-season tournament will be held at Jeffers High School, with Lake Linden-Hubbell, Jeffers, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, L’Anse, Baraga and Chassell among the schools participating. Play begins at 9 this morning. See the schedule here.
The Tigers had yesterday off, and entertain the Astros tonight. Matt Manning will start against Framber Valdez. Coverage will begin at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers also had yesterday off, and host the Padres tonight. Brandon Woodruff will start against Yu Darvish.
The Cubs won, and the Red lost, so Milwaukee’s lead in the National League Central Division stands at three games over Chicago, and four over Cincinnati.
The Lions conclude their preseason campaign tonight at Carolina.
Detroit has officially waived receiver Denzel Mims, whom they picked up in a trade with the Jets a few weeks ago. Mims suffered ankle and calf problems in training camp, and was given an injury settlement. Detroit also cut defensive back Saivion Smith, also with an injury settlement.
The Packers wrap up their exhibition schedule tomorrow afternoon at home against Seattle.
The Pistons have announced their preseason schedule. They’ll start with a home game against the Suns October 8th, then face the Thunder in Montreal, and conclude with road games at Oklahoma City and Dallas. Detroit’s regular season will open in Dallas October 25th. Hear selected Pistons broadcasts again this season on 99.3 The Lift.
The fourth annual Jeff Moyle Memorial Watercross event will take place at the Lake Linden Campground today through Sunday. The event is a fundraiser for the Lake Linden Fire Department, which hopes to build a new fire station to replace its century-old facility. Along with the racing, there will be live music from Rewind tonight, and Outlaw’d tomorrow night. For full details, click here.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tonight – Football – Calumet at Escanaba – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Thursday – Football – Houghton entertains Kingsford – because of a scheduling conflict, coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
- Thursday – Football – Calumet hosts Westwood – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.