The high school girls basketball season begins tonight…
• Hancock entertains West Iron County.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell travels to Ontonagon.
• Baraga hosts Republic-Michigamme.
• Ontonagon welcomes Ironwood.
The high school swim season also begins today, as Houghton entertains Westwood.
Michigan Tech’s Tristan Ashbrook has been named Forward of the Week by the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. Ashbrook scored four goals in the Huskies’ sweep of Ferris State over the weekend.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Boston Bruins this evening. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Portland Trail Blazers tonight.
In last night’s contest, Seattle’s two-point conversion attempt as time expired failed, and the Washington Football Team hung on to edge the Seahawks 17-15.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have picked at least nine games correctly to be eligible to become our weekly winner.
The Detroit Tigers have said “goodbye” to catcher Grayson Greiner. The team placed him on waivers rather than make a salary arbitration offer. He was not immediately claimed by another club, and has elected to become a free agent. The action removes him from the Tigers’ 40-man roster, but he could still re-sign with Detroit on a minor league deal. Detroit has nine other arbitration-eligible players, and today is the deadline either to submit salary offers or release them. There are reports that one of the players who will not be tendered is pitcher Matthew Boyd, who is recovering from arm surgery, and will not be available until at least midway through the season.
The Milwaukee Brewers had 13 players eligible for arbitration. Avisaíl García has already been non-tendered, and signed with the Miami Marlins.
The contract between Major League Baseball and its players expires tomorrow, with owners expected to lock the players out if no agreement is reached.
Today marks the end of the firearm deer hunting season. Our final Deer Hunters Roundup will be broadcast tomorrow evening at 7:00 on KBear 102.3. To be eligible to win one of our prizes, upload your information at KBear102.com, or call our studios at 482-7700 during business hours. The entry deadline is tomorrow at noon.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – high school hockey – Houghton at Hancock – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – high school hockey – Hartland at Calumet – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday – high school hockey – Traverse City Central at Houghton – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – high school hockey – Hartland at Houghton – coverage at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.