In high school hockey…
– Hancock fell to Brighton 8-4. Both offenses started the game hot – Brighton led 4-3 after the first period, with Petr Anderson scoring all three of Hancock’s goals. Austin Salani added a Hancock goal in the second period.
– Calumet outskated Novi 5-2. The Copper Kings scored three times in the final period to pull away. Brent Loukus and Scott Loukus each found the net twice for Calumet, and Gabe Coppo scored once. Dean Loukus had four assists.
In hockey today…
– Houghton welcomes Novi at 2:00 – our broadcast will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet hosts Brighton at 7:00 – our broadcast will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school girls basketball last night…
– Houghton defeated Lake Linden-Hubbell 58-31. Cassie Ryynanen and Daityn Markham each scored 15.
– Jeffers lost to Ontonagon 57-30.
– Chassell shut down Bessemer 60-15.
– Baraga overpowered Watersmeet 73-29.
In high school swimming, Houghton hosts the Gremlin Splash Tournament today.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team edged Aurora University 2-1 last night. Connor Hannon and Paul Lochner scored for the Lions. Marcus Gloss made 39 saves. Finlandia will host Lake Forest College this afternoon at 4:00.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team entertains Wisconsin-Superior today at 8:00, and tomorrow at 2:30.
The Michigan Tech hockey team lost 4-1 at 12th-ranked Minnesota State last night. Andrew Ballant scored the Huskies’ only goal. Robbie Beydoun made 30 saves, but took the loss. Tech skates in Mankato again tonight.
The Northern Michigan hockey team shut out Alaska-Fairbanks 4-0 last night. Atte Tolvanen earned his 12th career shutout in net, tying the NMU record. Those teams skate in Fairbanks again tonight.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams play at Wayne State University today.
Both Northern Michigan University hoops teams visit Ashland today.
The Portage Lake Pioneers and the Calumet Wolverines will face off tonight at 7:30 at Dee Stadium.
The Detroit Red Wings broke their six-game losing streak with a 4-3 overtime win over the Nashville Predators last night. Andreas Athanasiou, Thomas Vanek and Tyler Bertuzzi scored for Detroit during regulation. Dylan Larkin netted the game-winner in overtime. The Wings host the Washington Capitals tomorrow. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 4:40 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons host the Utah Jazz this evening.
The NFL playoffs begin this weekend…
– Today, the Indianapolis Colts visit the Houston Texans in the first game, and the Dallas Cowboys host the Seattle Seahawks in the nightcap. Our coverage will begin at 4:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
– Tomorrow, the Los Angeles Chargers visit the Baltimore Ravens in the first game, and the Chicago Bears entertain the Philadelphia Eagles in the nightcap. Our coverage will begin at 12:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers’ head coach search continues, with reports the team is set to interview former Dolphins coach Adam Gase. Gase was just fired by Miami after compiling a 23-25 record over three seasons. He has already interviewed with the Jets and Cardinals.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.