Tech Football Stifles Northwood
The 22nd-ranked Michigan Tech football team improved to 5-0 Saturday, with a 21-6 victory at Northwood. Charlie Leffingwell rushed for 145 yards and a touchdown. Tyler Scarlett completed 17 of 25 passes for 149 yards and one touchdown. He also threw two interceptions. The Huskies will host Grand Valley State next Saturday.
The Michigan Tech soccer team won its seventh straight game, with a 4-1 victory at Malone Friday. Jacqueline Mielke scored twice for the Huskies, who play at Lake Erie today at noon.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team earned an easy 3-0 victory over Tiffin Friday afternoon. On Saturday, the Huskies fell behind 2-0 at Ohio Dominican, came back to force a fifth set, but eventually lost 3-2.
NMU Football Falls at Malone
The Northern Michigan University football team lost 42-35 in overtime at Malone Saturday afternoon. The Wildcats held a 14-point lead midway through the fourth quarter, but the Pioneers scored two touchdowns in the final five minutes to tie the game. Malone scored on its first overtime possession, then forced a Wildcat fumble at the one-yard line to secure the win.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team defeated Kuyper College 4-1 Friday afternoon. Saul Ibarra had three goals and an assist for the Lions. On Saturday, Jaime Cuevas’ goal in overtime lifted the Lions to a 2-1 victory over Kuyper. Cole Workman scored Finlandia’s other goal, and Christian Martinez had two assists. The two victories improve the Lions’ record to 6-6. Link to highlights from Saturday’s victory here.
The Lions’ women’s team plays at Mount Mary this afternoon.
The Finlandia volleyball team fell at Maranatha Baptist Bible University 3-0 Saturday evening.
Lake Linden Clinches Football Playoff Berth
In high school football Friday night…
– Arthur Lyons scored the winning touchdown on a one-yard quarterback sneak with 1:33 remaining, as Lake Linden-Hubbell got past a stubborn Houghton squad 20-16. The win locked up a playoff berth for the Lakes, who are 6-1 overall. Lake Linden will host North Dickinson Saturday afternoon. Our pregame coverage will begin at 1:10 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet continued its drive toward the playoffs with a 33-8 victory over L’Anse. Calumet and L’Anse now have identical 4-3 overall records. Each needs to win its final two games to guarantee a playoff position. Calumet will play at Ironwood Friday night – our pregame coverage begins at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com – then closes the season at Gladstone. The Purple Hornets close with home games against Northland Pines and Munising.
– Hancock collected three interceptions, and edged Ironwood 14-12.
– Forest Park scored 48 points in the first quarter, and cruised past Baraga 56-14. The win earned a playoff berth for the Trojans for the 17th straight season.
– Ewen-Trout Creek fell to Cedarville 49-6 in a game that was played at Rapid River.
On Saturday, Ontonagon defeated Brimley 56-14.
You can see video highlights of the Houghton-Lake Linden game, and the Hancock-Ironwood game, here.
NHL – Red Wings Fall Late to Ducks
Ryan Getzlaf’s goal with 24-seconds remaining gave the Anaheim Ducks a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings Saturday night. The Wings will host the Bruins Wednesday. Faceoff is at 8:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NFL – Lions and Packers Prepare for Week Six
The Detroit Lions play at Minnesota today. Receiver Calvin Johnson was listed as doubtful on Friday’s injury report. Running back Reggie Bush was listed as questionable. Kickoff is at 1:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Packers play at Miami today. That’s also a 1:00 kickoff.
NBA – Pistons Continue Preseason
The Detroit Pistons will play an exhibition at Washington this afternoon. We will carry select Pistons games again this season on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
Calumet will continue its drive for the football playoffs Friday night at Ironwood. Lake Linden-Hubbell will host North Dickinson Saturday afternoon. Hear both broadcasts on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.