In high school baseball yesterday…
– Jeffers won both games of their doubleheader against Ontonagon, 9-3 and 9-4. Ari Rautiola and Dean Jurmu each had three hits in the opener, and Elias Rajala tripled, and scored two runs. Rautiola, Eli Larson and Aidan Kinnunen each had two hits in the second contest.
– Calumet dropped both ends of their twinbill against Negaunee, 11-1 and 4-0.
In baseball this afternoon…
– Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains the Gogebic Miners
In softball yesterday…
– Calumet split a doubleheader with Westwood, with a 10-4 victory and an 8-0 loss.
– L’Anse v Negaunee – no report.
In softball today…
– Calumet hosts the Gogebic Miners.
– Jeffers plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell. Because of a Lake Linden graduation rehearsal, the first game will start around 4:15. Our coverage will begin at 3:55 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school golf, at the Hancock Bulldog Invitational yesterday…
– Houghton won the boys meet by a single stroke over West Iron County. Calumet was six strokes off the pace, followed by Ontonagon and Hancock. Nate Thomson of the Wykons medaled, with Houghton’s Jisung Choi two strokes back. Calumet’s Landon Johnson placed third individually.
– West Iron County won the girls meet, three strokes better than Ontonagon. Houghton was third, followed by Calumet and Chassell. Hancock’s Payton Dube medaled, finishing 21 strokes better than Houghton’s Elle Colombe.
In golf today, local girls teams will compete at the West Iron County Invitational.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play tonight…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Bucko’s/Labatt’s will face Coca Cola/Monte Carlo at 6:15, then take on Harter’s Carquest at 7:30.
– At Hurontown, Koppers will play Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics at 6:15, and Luigi’s at 7:30.
– At Tapiola, Lake Superior Design will face Downtowner 2 at 6:15, and McGann’s/Northern Auto at 7:30.
The Detroit Tigers suffered another lopsided loss to the Houston Astros last night, falling 11-4. Ryan Carpenter gave up eight runs over four innings, and took the loss. Ronny Rodriguez hit a home run.
The Tigers will host the Astros again tonight. Gregory Soto has been brought back from Double-A Erie to start against Justin Verlander. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Carpenter was sent back to Toledo to make room for Soto on the roster.
The Milwaukee Brewers snapped their three-game losing streak with a 6-1 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies last evening. Keston Hiura had two hits in his Major League debut for the Brewers, and Yasmani Grandal and Ryan Braun homered. Brandon Woodruff pitched six shutout innings, giving up just one hit.
The Brewers visit the Phillies again this evening. Gio Gonzalez will pitch against Jake Arrieta.
Yesterday, Milwaukee sent third baseman Travis Shaw to the injured list with a strained right wrist. The Brewers also designated infielder Cory Spangenberg for assignment.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night, the Boston Bruins edged the Carolina Hurricanes 2-1. Boston leads the Eastern Conference final 3-0.
The San Jose Sharks visit the Saint Louis Blues tonight. The Western Conference final is tied 1-1.
In NBA playoff action, the Golden State Warriors opened the Western Conference final with a 116-94 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers last night.
Tonight, the Toronto Raptors visit the Milwaukee Bucks in game one of the Eastern Conference final.
Our high school softball coverage continues today, as Jeffers plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell. The broadcast will begin at 3:55 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.